H

M56   Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:26 pm GMT
The eighth letter of the alphabet

Apparently, Catholics in Northern Ireland call the letter "haitch" and Protestestants in the same region call it "aitch". How about you?
Gabriel   Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
I say [eItS], or "aitch", but what's interesting is that while H-dropping is one of the most stigmatized pronunciation traits in England, the very name of the letter has no /h/ sound. I can see how [heItS] could arise because of hypercorrection. Or did it precede the other pronunciation?
M56   Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:37 pm GMT
<Or did it precede the other pronunciation? >

Not sure.
Skippy   Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:03 pm GMT
I say [eitS]. This is pretty standard throughout the US (at least in my experience).
Uriel   Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
H is aitch, for me (American, neither Catholic nor Protestant).

I think the H's that the rest of us have dropped a long time ago are still preserved in the Appalachians, where people have been known to say "hit" for "it" and "hain't" for "ain't". ("Haint" meaning "ghost" -- a variant of "haunt"-- is a whole 'nother story.)
Lazar   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
I say "aitch", and I think nearly all Americans do. But I've read that a lot of Australians say "haitch" - in fact I recently heard an Australian say it that way in a commercial.
Pete   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:40 pm GMT
I say "aitch" for H, but I think "haitch" is a better pronunciation. Letter names should give a clue as to how they are pronounced. Most letter names in English do that.
Gwest   Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
<Letter names should give a clue as to how they are pronounced.>

With many letters there is no one single pronunciation.
Uriel   Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:41 pm GMT
<<I say "aitch" for H, but I think "haitch" is a better pronunciation. Letter names should give a clue as to how they are pronounced. Most letter names in English do that. >>

But ... in Spanish it's "ache" -- no H-sound either!

And look at W and Y -- neither "double-U" or "wye" sound anything like those letters!
Gabriel   Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 am GMT
<<But ... in Spanish it's "ache" -- no H-sound either!>>

That's not the best of examples given that h is always silent in Spanish.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:51 am GMT
<<And look at W and Y -- neither "double-U" or "wye" sound anything like those letters! >>

Actually, "wye" isn't too bad. Consider by, lye, rye, spy, etc.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:53 am GMT
<<That's not the best of examples given that h is always silent in Spanish. >>

Maybe "ache" is the best they can do:

Consider Chile, escuchar, or even hache :)