I am used not to

Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 am GMT
If some speakers think it fit to say "I used not to play football.", would the same speakers also find it fit to say "I am used not to play/playing football"?
Davidab   Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:17 am GMT
No, 'I am used to' has a different meaning and grammar from 'I used to

'I used to play' = simple past tense of use followed by to-infinitive = a past habit no longer done

'I am used to playing = past participle of 'use' as an adjective, followed by preposition 'to' followed by gerund. = I am accustomed to playing.

'used' in this meaning always goes after a state verb such as 'be' 'become' 'get' 'seem' 'grow', etc and the verb after 'to' must always be in -ing form

The negative form is always:

I am not used to playing

David
Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
<No, 'I am used to' has a different meaning and grammar from 'I used to>

Yes, we know that, but why can't on split "(be ) used to" if one can split "used to"?
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:21 pm GMT
Why do you keep making these "If some people say X, might it be possible to say Y?" posts, especially when Y is never something anybody ever says? This is an honest question; I really want to know.

- Kef
Pete   Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 pm GMT
<<"I used not to play football.">>

I'd say "I used to not play football" myself, rather than "I used not to play football". The latter actually sounds quite odd to me.
Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm GMT
<Why do you keep making these "If some people say X, might it be possible to say Y?" posts, especially when Y is never something anybody ever says? >

Because what is possible is sometimes probable. Because it's the kind of question that plays on the minds of nonantives when we try to understand your language.

Are you closet-moderating again?

Why not try to answer this question?

<<..- why can't on split "(be ) used to" if one can split "used to"? >>
beneficii   Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 pm GMT
Dizzy,

OK, but you have to remember that this is a forum to teach people using a variant of Krashen's input methods. Inventing your own forms without being sure of them I think is a violation of that. At best, if you think that it is a possible form, then perhaps you can search the Internet to see if it exists.
Pete   Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 pm GMT
Yeah, try searching on Google for instance.
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
<< Are you closet-moderating again? >>

No, just curious and, admittedly, a little annoyed. I'm allowed to get a little annoyed once in a while, aren't I? ;) It's nothing personal; I just find these debates exasperating.
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
<I just find these debates exasperating. >

Opt out.
beneficii   Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:58 pm GMT
furrykef,

This sort of thing is also where I think a lot of language learners go wrong. They debate every little possibility that may or not be in a language, and they forget its main purpose.