Which one?

Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:21 am GMT
Which one is incorrect, and why?

He usedn't to do it.
He usen't to do it.
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:20 am GMT
Both.
Guest #2   Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:18 am GMT
They both don't make any sense. I would say: He used to not do that.

We never contract with "used to."
Gwest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:09 pm GMT
<We never contract with "used to." >

According to Chambers, we do:

used to

There is often uncertainty about the correct negative form of used to. The following are all acceptable (note that when an auxiliary verb is used, it is did, not had):

• He used not to do it.

• He usedn't to do it.

• He didn't use to do it.

The following are usually considered incorrect:

• He usen't to do it.

• He didn't used to do it.

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/index.shtml
Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 pm GMT
<Both. >

How can both be correct, Guest?
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
In American English (NE US), "He usedn't to do it" sounds strange, and is seldom if ever heard.

I'd say "he didn't use to do it". "He used not to do it" isn't as common, and also sounds a little bit unusual to me.

Maybe things are different in the UK.
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 pm GMT
"Both" would mean they're both incorrect, not that they're both correct. I would consider "usedn't" awkward at best, and "usen't" incorrect because it isn't in the past tense, and "used to" must always be in the past tense unless it's used with another verb like "did".

- Kef
Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
<In American English (NE US), "He usedn't to do it" sounds strange, and is seldom if ever heard. >

Yes, we know, but the question is about the choice between the above forms.
Divvy   Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:38 pm GMT
<I would consider "usedn't" awkward at best, and "usen't" incorrect because it isn't in the past tense, and "used to" must always be in the past tense unless it's used with another verb like "did". >

So you would consider, both forms above incorrect, would you?
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 pm GMT
I would, yes.
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
Another example where "not" cannot become "n't": "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." Starting the sentence with "Askn't" sounds very strange.
Pos   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 pm GMT
<I would, yes. >

Why would Chambers list "usedn't to" as correct if it weren't correct?
Pos   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm GMT
<Another example where "not" cannot become "n't": "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." Starting the sentence with "Askn't" sounds very strange. >

That's just a subjective viewpoint, right? There's nothing objective, i.e. linguistics based, about it, right?
furrykef   Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
The idea of "correctness" and "incorrectness" in a language is inherently subjective to at least some degree.
Guest   Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
<The idea of "correctness" and "incorrectness" in a language is inherently subjective to at least some degree. >

Well, you finally got rid of your nemesis. How did you do it? Did you complain directly to Josh?