Media/medium

Gabriel   Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
I know that in its sense referring to mass communication, the word "media" is normally used as a singular noun. However, working in a microbiology lab I more frequently encounter the word used in a different sense: a rich nutrient environment to grow microorganisms. People in the lab normally speak of "a bottle of media", or "try using a different media" or "the media has gone bad". Wouldn't you rather use "medium" in those examples?
Lazar   Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:07 pm GMT
I know next to nothing about microbiology, but yes, "medium" would sound more natural to me there.
Skippy   Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
Yeah, medium would definitely be better, but many see media/medium as a lost cause... Though here, unlike in other situations, this actually does sound quite awkward.
furrykef   Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:05 am GMT
I agree, "medium" is much better here.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:35 pm GMT
Maybe "medium/media" is becoming like "datum/data".

On the other hand, I think "mediums" can also be used as a plural. Example:

"We carry small, medium, and large socks here. The smalls are here, and the mediums are over there."
Skippy   Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
lol k if you're talking about size, I would definitely say "mediums"
Guest   Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
When talking of psychics, I think the usual plural is "mediums", too.

Example:

"At our agency, we have several top-notch mediums with a proven track record of bringing back dead ancestors."
K. T.   Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:46 am GMT
That must be a joke. It would be funnier if they brought back top-notch ancestors too.

There was a medium/palm reader in a small town where I used to live. I never saw anyone there and later I learned she went out of business. I have always wondered why she didn't see that coming.