Tyneside, Merseyside

Guest   Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 am GMT
I suppose you could say either "on Staten Island" or "in Staten Island", but always? "on Long Island". I suppose you can say "in Manhattan" but also "on Manhattan Island". I suppose you also say "on Cape Cod", and some folks have vacation houses "on Lake George" or "on the Hudson".
M56   Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:06 am GMT
Don't you say "on one side of the river" in Canada, Josh?
M56   Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:08 am GMT
BTW, we also say "in Merseyside". Can you guess why?
M56   Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 am GMT
'Identity

To express location within the Merseyside area by the preposition on - thus "on Merseyside" as opposed to "in Merseyside" - was traditionally the more usual. However, the logic of suggestions in support of this from some quarters (that, after all, one would always be "on” the side of the Mersey, not "in" it) falls down; since it is, in fact, entirely possible to be situated [both] "in" or "on" [either] “side” of the river Mersey and area(s) thus designated. Therefore, more recent usage tends to draw distinctions between the geographical "Merseyside" - for which "on" is considered appropriate - and the Metropolitan county of "Merseyside", for which "in" is used.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside
Adam   Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:57 pm GMT
We also say "on Clydeside."

Though Clydeside, unlike Merseyside, isn't an actual country. I think Clydeside is just the area along the River Clyde and is one of Britain's major shipbuilding areas.

Up until about 35 years ago Merseyside was a part of Lancashire but it split away (so too was Greater Manchester and parts of what is now southern Cumbria).

There is also Teesside, and we say "on Teesside." Teesside isn't a county is the name given to the conurbation in the North East of England made up of the towns of Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Stockton-on-Tees, Redcar and surrounding settlements. Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire, Hartlepool is in County Durham, Stockton-on-Tees is partly in North Yorkshire and partly in Country Durham and Redcar is in North Yorkshire.

Yet another one is "on Deeside". Deeside is in Flintshire.
Adam   Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
"Though Clydeside, unlike Merseyside, isn't an actual country."

That should say "county", not "country."
Philippe Flop   Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
Oh i do like to be on the seaside
Oh i do like to be on the sea.
Moi   Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
"Oh i do like to be BESIDE the seaside,
Oh i do like to be BESIDE the sea."