"Ain't" in its place.

Divvy   Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:27 am GMT
Could the insistence on using "ain't" when speaking regulary to a group of Standard English speakers be seen as anti-social behaviour?
Skippy   Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 pm GMT
Not anti-social... If you're with a group of relatively learned folks, then avoid 'ain't' because they'll probably think you're an idiot (especially if you're a non-native speaker using the term). If you're talking to lower class folks in the South... You should probably still avoid it, because they may think you were mocking them. Just keep to "am not" "aren't" and "isn't."
O'Bruadair   Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:10 am GMT
So if you use the word you are either a “lower class” Southerner or you are making fun of such? The word is very commonly used by AAVE speakers all over the US. I’d like to hear you tell some gang banger from Detroit or South Central to his face that he is “lower class” or a Southerner because he uses ain’t. Your prejudices are showing.

"Well I ain't first class
But I ain't white trash"
Sawyer Brown
Milton   Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 am GMT
*If I ain't got you*
Alicia Keys

I find
*If I don't have you*
better but that's just me...
Gwest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 pm GMT
Skippy's answer is somewhat uneducated.
Guest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
Skippy:

If I go by your explanation, then there is no real use of the word in practice and in any case it is labelled as uneducated so.... simple..... get rid of it. Why persist with it?
Guest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:14 pm GMT
Sociolinguistic phenomena that clash with, fail to conform to, or otherwise threaten a given language ideology may be systematically ignored or denied, stricken from the ideological record.
furrykef   Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:31 am GMT
<< Skippy's answer is somewhat uneducated. >>

You haven't explained how.
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:35 am GMT
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, Kef. Let me explain...

Yes, I failed to mention AAVE and I apologize to any African Americans I may have offended... Anyway, if you used "ain't" with African Americans, they too would think you are mocking them... And you think MY prejudices are coming out, yet you are referring to "gang banger(s) in Detroit or South Central" as quintessential African Americans, then you truly don't understand race relations in the United States...

How is my response "uneducated"? I have a degree in Linguistics, and my major professor specialized in AAVE. Yes, this makes my failure to mention their speech all the more embarrassing, but hardly uneducated.

The contraction "ain't" is used in everyday speech by many throughout the United States, though if you were to come here as a foreigner and use it with ANY group of people that use it (lower class, Southerner, AAVE speaker, etc.) they would probably assume you're mocking them... There is a stigma that comes with the word amongst the educated in America, that those who use it are uneducated. Though this is not necessarily true, it IS true that those who use it and are educated would avoid it with educated company to avoid the stigma.

It is used in the US and throughout the English speaking world, but as a foreigner, it should be avoided. As a Linguist, I know how this sounds, but to avoid offending a native, one should learn "proper" English, be it English English, American English, or whatever.

I'm not ignoring any sociolinguistic phenomenon, nor is my "language ideology" threatened. This is a native English speaker telling you the stigma associated with this certain word in American English. Come to America and use it, see the reaction you get.

Any questions? Hope I wasn't as antagonizing as ya'll were.
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:46 am GMT
Skippy, one more question. Is it your longest post to date on the forum and that is also without your traditional trademark lol?
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 am GMT
Sorry...

lol :-P
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:33 am GMT
<<< Skippy's answer is somewhat uneducated. >>

You haven't explained how. >

Are you saying that you think it IS an educated reply, Furykef?
Gwest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:34 am GMT
Here's one reason why, Kef.

<Yes, I failed to mention AAVE and I apologize to any African Americans I may have offended... >
Gwest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:42 am GMT
<Anyway, if you used "ain't" with African Americans, they too would think you are mocking them... >

Not so. In the USA, many, many young whites use "ain't" in the company of their black peers. It has become the norm in the area of coolness.

<It is used in the US and throughout the English speaking world, but as a foreigner, it should be avoided. As a Linguist, I know how this sounds, but to avoid offending a native, one should learn "proper" English, be it English English, American English, or whatever. >

And what about when one settles in the USA and attends a high school were most students use "ain't"? Should the foreigner then learn to use "ain't"?
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
Are ya'll native speakers? Are ya'll suggesting that non-native speakers should use ain't? Maybe in Gwest's last example they should, but in general non-native speakers should just say "isn't." I'm starting to think ya'll are trying to wind me up.