Romanian influence over Hungarian

Maximus   Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 pm GMT
Did any of you heard about this studies : Vocabularium", of Samuel Gyarmathi, published in 1816 at Viena, who mention the presence of some romanian words in hungarian language, Szinney Jozsef ( another hungarian scholar ), between 1893 and 1901, in a regionalism dictionary mention 340 romanian words in magyar language, and, in 1942, Geza Bledy, in his work, "Influence of romanian language over magyar language-lexicography study" registrated almost 600 romanian words in maghyar language.

But most important study is "The history of maghyar words from romanian origin", or "Amaghyar szokeszlet Roman elemeinek tortenete" of Bakos Ferenc, profesor at University from Budapest, study from 1982, published by Academy editure in Budapesta,it mentions over 2000 romanian words.

what do you know about this?
Sorinescu Ceausescu   Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:32 am GMT
I don't know about that. But I do know that Romanian borrowed 38% of its words from French. It's a fact. Check it out. Do a Google search on ..."The Re-Latinization of Romanian''.
Johnaeus   Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:31 am GMT
That's about how many words English itself borrowed from French.
Dunhill   Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:23 pm GMT
<<I don't know about that. But I do know that Romanian borrowed 38% of its words from French. It's a fact. Check it out. Do a Google search on ..."The Re-Latinization of Romanian''.>>

I don't know about that. But I do know that Latin borrowed more than 40% of its words from Greek. It's a fact. Check it out. Latin wouldn't have been what it was without Greek.You almost sound as borrowing words is like stealing. And you keep saying the same ol thing in many threads. Is there something you want to prove? If so,spill it out ,don't let frusatration grow in you.
Sorinescu Ceausescu   Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
Since it is a fact that 38% of Romanian words have been borrowed from French, it is patently absurd for anyone to claim that Romanian is the closest language to Latin.
Guest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 am GMT
Archaic Latin "attingere" ?

How? If Dacia was conquered the post Popular latin era.

Noli me tangere - Classical latin.
(Don't touch me)
Guest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 pm GMT
>> Off-topic :Please do not start this all over again... Why does it matter so much which one is closest to Latin? Whatever that is, it does not prove anything. The latin legacy and heritage is long lost and forgotten, there are new identities and cultures right now. It's funny how a trivial thing like this can generate so much racism.
>> On-topic: There is no notable infuence of Romanian over Hungarian. How do I know? I speak both .

PS : There is no such thing as Post Popular Latin era.And anyway,if the word didn't come from Classical Latin,where did it come from? It's like assuming in a 100 years from now that a word like "computer" came from Chinese,when the ressemblences are more than obvious. You leave me in awe.
Maximus   Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
38 % borrowed from french? I really really doubt that this much was borrowed, maybe 10 % ...

If this is true, how do you explain that romanians don't understand french but understand spanish or italian?

and Romanian language is the closest to Classica Latin because the grammar structure of the Romanian language is Latin and it is formed of a basic lexical stock of 60% of Latin words, to which we have to add the words that come from the Daco-Getic substratum, as well as 15-20% of Slavic words.
Grease   Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:49 pm GMT
You only get a 38 percent if you also count the words that have the same roots,just beacuse there is a similarity doesn't mean that the word has been borrowed.
Guest   Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:09 am GMT
Romanian has borrowed and borrowed extensively, so I wouldn't be surprised if almost 60% of it is either foreign or reintroduced. In despite of that the grammar of Romanian is more Slavic then Latin. Furthermore, it has too many tildes - many of which aren't used in Latin or in the Romance languages - Romanian has (at best) one trait from Classical-latin, however, even that is diluted to an extent.

Also....

Romanian possesses an slavic / north germanic trait adding the article at its ending (i.e. = LUPUL = singular)

P.ss. Romanian as well has various dialects within itself (it goes to show their language discord) each one possesses more or less Slavic wording. Literally. In the capital of Romania, they speak / use a more latinized version, which is utterly artificial.
Maximus   Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 am GMT
This msg came from a Hungarian who saw me speak romanian

"Your language is remarkable similar to Spanish. If you think I don't understand that, you are mistaken"

and I get this type of messages all the time from foreigners who doesn't know what language I speak...they say romanian sounds similar to spanish or italian...

don't trow with lies you ignorant, what words has romanian borrowed from other languages beside the RE-latinization from the 19th century?

That analsys wich say 60 % words are latin, 20 Daco-Getic substratum and 15-20% of Slavic words are bate by lingvists not by amateurs...but you know better, no?
Guest   Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm GMT
<<In despite of that the grammar of Romanian is more Slavic then Latin.>>

Well,you definetely need to prove that.The Slavic influence in Romanian is only present in vocabulary and phonetics maybe. All I'm asking from you is to come up with just one example of obvious Slavic presence in whatever aspect of the grammar.

The placement of the article either at the beginning or the end of the word is not a trait from Latin since Latin had no article,and therefore,no placement. I thought that was obvious.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
oh my god stupidity is at a high level here...peoples not only romanian has loanwords from french,but english,spanish,even slavic languages contain many and many words from french.where is th problem?seriously where?there are medical words scientific,geografic etc...you believe that,you will see an romanian from rural places to speak about anathomic places in human body or about organic chimia..NO OF COURSE...there are 90% terms who didn't exists in romanian language,not to replace slavic words.you believe now romanian to be french??yu make me laugh...
there are many important words with slavic origin like:to need=a trebui,prieten=friend,love=iubire,ceas=clock etc....many slavic words can be found in religious terms especially but the base of vocabullary is latin..
and if he had 30% latin words and 70 slavic what??portuguese is more than 60% and sounds more slavic than a slavic language:)) but has his charm....
greg   Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
Brennus : « It is always difficult to tell which Romance language is closest to Latin. »

C'est surtout difficile car, si on sait bien de quelles langues romanes nous dicutons, on ignore quel "latin" était parlé à la fin de l'Antiquité.