whiteness

Gwest   Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:50 pm GMT
It is said that in the U.S., the notion of a linguistic “standard,” is closely bound up with whiteness.

Is that true?
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:41 am GMT
Probably... It makes sense because typically Standard American English is closer to the speech of whites than AAVE speakers. It's not that there aren't African Americans are unable to codeswitch to SAE, but that doing so has consequences within their community. Alot of black kids at my high school were given a hard time for "sounding white." The stigma of AAVE amongst whites is about the same as the stigma of SAE amongst African Americans.
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:45 am GMT
<It's not that there aren't African Americans are unable to codeswitch to SAE,>

That sentence part isn't grammatical.
Gwest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:47 am GMT
<Alot of black kids at my high school were given a hard time for "sounding white." The stigma of AAVE amongst whites is about the same as the stigma of SAE amongst African Americans. >

Did you experience whites who chose to use a superstandard form of English (see the thread on "hyperwhites")?
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
<Did you experience whites who chose to use a superstandard form of English?>

No, you typically won't find that with 16 year old Texans.
ebony   Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
Why can people talk about hyperwhite and If I speak about hyperblack my post is deleted? Anyway, I will tell you that I speak ebonics , I don't care about if it is standard or not since I'm proud of my pure blackness.
Guest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:21 am GMT
<Why can people talk about hyperwhite and If I speak about hyperblack my post is deleted?>

Only Josh and Co. can answer that. I find it odd that such a thread should be deleted.
Guest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:46 am GMT
<I don't care about if it is standard or not since I'm proud of my pure blackness. >

What does "pure blackness" mean, in your post?
Divvy   Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:09 pm GMT
"In white mainstream society, whiteness is an unmarked feature–it’s considered the norm and deviations from it are remarked on. White people in white-dominated places don’t think of themselves as having a race at all."

http://www.angriestricecooker.com/category/random-geekage/science/

Is that true. Do white people thing of themselves as having no race?
Gwest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 pm GMT
There are white people who speak in ways that are marked–the redneck culture that Deppey mentioned is one of these. Although these people are white, their form of whiteness is marked. They speak with something less than Standard English, therefore their whiteness is poisoned. They are incompletely white.

http://www.angriestricecooker.com/category/random-geekage/science/

How about that comment, then, Divvy?