restroom

Matt   Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:19 am GMT
In Britain, we tend to just say "Where is the toilet?".

Straight to the point, no resting, or washing (other than your hands) involved.
furrykef   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
<< leftenant (U.S. lieutenant), shedule (U.S. schedule) >>

Note that these two changes are only in pronunciation, not in spelling.
Guest   Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:19 pm GMT
"shed-jool" is not preferred in Canadian English,
most Canadians would use the American Pronunciation, just like /nu/ instead of /nju/, but then again, CBC likes using British-sounding pronunciations...CBC's English is more British-sounding while MuchMusic English is more USsounding...Younger generations seem to prefer US pronunciation, of many words!
Uriel   Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
They use "washroom" in the south. It's isn't a Briticism.
SpaceFlight   Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
I live in the south and have never heard that term before.
K. T.   Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:22 am GMT
I live in the south and I've heard it occasionally. However, I live in one of the larger Southern cities, so we have transplants (especially among professionals) here. I think Atlanta is like that as well. The accent gets watered down and words from other places are heard.
Skippy   Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:07 am GMT
you very rarely hear 'washroom' in the south... you'd hear 'powder room' far more often (or at least "i'm off to powder my nose...")
Tiffany   Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:59 am GMT
Chips, shedule and mum:
My Canadian cousins (from the Greater Toronto area) all say french fries, schedule and Mom - same as Americans.

Not sure about leftenent, letterbox or testimonials, I'll have to ask.
Uriel   Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:24 am GMT
<<I live in the south and have never heard that term before.>>

No, you live in Florida, which doesn't count. ;)

Well, I've heard it in the south, and in Texas, and even here in NM. It's not the most common name for that room, as K.T. and Skippy say, but I can't buy that there's a big British influence going on around here. Other than the fact that you could say that us all speaking English in general can be contributed to a British influence....
Matt   Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 am GMT
"In Britain, mum is used everywhere today except in remoter areas like Cornwall, Wales and Scotland where "mom" still survives."

----

Mum isn't used everywhere in Britain. I am from the north of England and would never, ever, refer to my mother as mum. It's always "mam" (with a short 'a').
Milton   Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:48 am GMT
It's always "mam" (with a short 'a').

In Chicago and Detroit they pronounce MOM as MAM...
What goes around comes around :)
Cassie   Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
I call my mother mummy and she, in turn, calls me Princess.
Travis   Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:08 pm GMT
>>In Chicago and Detroit they pronounce MOM as MAM...
What goes around comes around :)<<

In most of the NCVS area, though, the vowel used is not actually [{] but rather is [a], whereas your writing it as "mam" implies [{].
Guest   Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 am GMT
''In most of the NCVS area, though, the vowel used is not actually [{] but rather is [a], whereas your writing it as "mam" implies [{].''

I guess, it depends on a speaker.
Even NewYorkers (NYC) note that in Chicago, Detroit in Buffalo they have [{] for /A/ (Lakers' mom, Don, block --->sound like mam, Dan, black to a NYC or LA ears)
jedediah   Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 am GMT
Maybe just try: "Where is the bathroom?" Or, "do you have a restroom?"

Next time ask the person behind the counter. Do not involve customers, or anyone not behind the counter.

I think it's a fair question to ask if you are at a gas station. If they are outside some stations lock them, and you have to retrieve a key to use'em.

Do not converse with teenage girls in groups of two or more (unless you are a teenager yourself). This will invariably cause a snowball effect of giggling and snorts that will rise to such a pitch that your ears will bleed till the point of blackout. You've been warned.