AAVE lessons?

Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 am GMT
<Well, they are the expressions that are technically wrong *gramatically* such as: >

And where did you learn your grammar, or to spell "grammatically"? That utterance is dreadful.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 am GMT
I don't think it's impolite for Native Korean to ask about when African Americans learned English. Slavery or Enslavement may be a sticky issue, but we are writing about language learning and usage.

I wonder if language usage differs according to the ancestry of certain American Blacks. Black persons in the North gained freedom early on. There have been educated Blacks in the United States for more than two hundred years.

Some people of African descent in the South learned to read and write and some of them worked in shops or in the main home if they were enslaved (some people used to say "slaves", and in fact, I saw this recently in an African American exhibit, but I honestly do not know how to use this word now.)

Because some Blacks worked in the home or in shops and others in the field, I think this may have influenced AAVE. Just a guess.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am GMT
<Where did they learn English? Back when slavery existed? >

How would that period affect the way AAVE is spoken today?
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:04 am GMT
<There have been educated Blacks in the United States for more than two hundred years. >

The Blacks were educated a long time before America or Europe even existed, friend.
Guest   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:05 am GMT
< I think this may have influenced AAVE. >

In what way?
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:30 am GMT
"The Blacks were educated a long time before America or Europe even existed, friend."

Well, I was thinking primarily of education in North America.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:33 am GMT
http://www.jack-and-jill.org/

Have you heard of this group, guest?
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:41 am GMT
http://www.jack-and-jill.org/

Sorry, please type the address above for information.

Have you heard of this group, guest?
Native Korean   Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:59 am GMT
Sorry if my comment/question was offensive.
I didn't mean to.

What I wanted to ask was:
Why do some African Americans use those grammatically wrong expressions even though they go to the same schools, and watch the same TV programs as other races in the US?
Asian Americans don't use their own vernacular English as long as they grew up in America.
Jasper   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:22 am GMT
<<I meant making a mistake in SAE wouldn't be interpreted as mocking *SAE*, while making a mistake in AAVE might be interpreted as mocking AAVE.>>

I agree.

White people often subtly mock African-Americans by talking to them in a fake AAVE.

I've had the experience of my own Southern-accented language being mocked this way, so I know. People will make fun of you to your face.
K. T.   Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:47 am GMT
I'd like to hear from some black Americans who disagree about this.
Native Korean   Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:12 am GMT
<Third, people don't learn their language at school, they learn it from their parents and from their peers.>

Then what about hispanics and Asian Americans?
In the big cities in California (such as LA, San Diego or San Fran),there are huge numbers of Asian and hipanic population. In fact,they are not minorities in those cities.
As far as I know, Asian Americans tend to hang around with other Asian Americans in those cities. (I know because I have cousins in LA!) Plus, lots of their parents don't speak English well since their parents are the first generations of immigrants.
Nevertheless, Asian Americans who were born an raised in the States speak English perfectly. (They speak English better than their parents' first language!) Asian Americans should have had their unique, vernacular accent if language is mostly learned from their parents and peers. However, hardly any Asian Americans have awkward accent and their English accent is closer to either local accent or General American.
furrykef   Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:59 am GMT
<< Why do some African Americans use those grammatically wrong expressions even though they go to the same schools, and watch the same TV programs as other races in the US? >>

This sort of phenomenon isn't unknown... people imitate the speech of their peers. For instance, in Japanese, men and women speak differently, with some words being used only by men and other words only by women, as well as women generally using polite grammar more often. It's firmly ingrained in their culture. The same sort of thing happens with AAVE, only less formally and on a smaller scale.

- Kef
MollyB   Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:49 am GMT
<On the other hand, many Hispanic Americans speak a variety called Chicano English which shares some features with AAVE and is nearly as stigmatized. >

Is General American English also stigmatized in some communities?
Guest   Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
Take note, you users of a "superstandard":

From: Selected Annotated Bibliography on The SAT: Bias and Misuse

Burton, N.W. Trends in the Verbal Scores of Women Taking the SAT in Comparison to Trends in Other Voluntary Testing Programs. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, April 1987.

"ETS researcher finds that the lower scores of women relative to men on the verbal sections of the SAT and the PSAT contrast with their superior performances on other verbal/English tests, such as the ACT English section, the Test of Standard Written English (TSWE) and the English Composition Test (ECT). The fact that more females than males take the SAT and PSAT only explains part of the gap. Carlton, S. T.,"