Becoming a Great Oral Communicator

Toto   Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:04 pm GMT
I can communicate well via written forms of communication like email, but I can't in person or via telephone.
It's probably because, for written forms of communication, I have much, infinite time to say, edit, and add what I want to say, trying to minimize any mistakes in grammar and word choice.
When I'm talking with others in-person, however, I'm expected to talk off the cuff. In person, it's inappropriate and awkward to take much time like 10~30 minutes in formulating my answers to ideas, responses, or questions. So, most of the time, I'm forced to say only simple sentences; this prevents me from expressing myself clearly.
One of the reasons I think that contributes to this problem would be that I can't think in English; it's faster and more comfortable to think in my native language.

I really want to be as good at communication when I'm speaking in person as I am when I'm communicating via written forms of communication.
How can I reach that goal?
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:44 am GMT
Your written English is perfect. All you need to do is to speak as much as you can. Talk to yourself in the bathroom. On your bed. Everywhere.
Engage your brain all the time in your target language. When you go for a real communication, don't be afraid of being imperfect. Concentrate on your thoughts more than your language structures. All of the neccessary structures in the language will come to you naturally. Self-talking works. It really helps you to get into a flow of speech. On the basis of my own experience, the more I feel self-concious, the worse I perform. Let yourself go. If it doesn't work, spend a year or two in a native speaking country.
Toto   Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 am GMT
Guest, thanks for your post. Your advice is really appreciated.

"If it doesn't work, spend a year or two in a native speaking country."

Please look at this thread of mine: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7702.htm