Meaning of "tart" in slang.

Rodrigo   Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:48 pm GMT
Recently I heard a friend describing someone as a "tart" and when I asked what she meant by that she said "perra"(bitch). But on-line, and in several dictionaries, I've seen it is a very insulting word. Especially in Canadian (Ontario) slang, is it very offensive? Or can it mean something different from a prostitute but also a very flirtatious woman? Also, just for curiosity, were does this meaning come from?
Thanks for the answers.
Guest   Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:54 am GMT
<<she said "perra"(bitch). But on-line, and in several dictionaries, I've seen it is a very insulting word.<<

Like, perra is not a very insulting word?
Rodrigo   Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
Generally perra only means a woman who is flirts way too much woth too many people but it's never as insulting as Puta which implies it's for money and much more often.
Guest   Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
<<perra only means a woman who is flirts way too much woth too many people<<

Cambridge dictionary definition of tart is allmost identical to your definition of perra:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=81418&dict=CALD
Guest   Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:29 am GMT
It's a nasty little insult that women use when talking about other women, or to men. I suppose men use it too, but I have not noticed it so much.
Rodrigo, honestly, your English is too good to be discussing that here. Just use a slang or an urban dictionary. When I get stuck on a questionable word in Spanish, I go to a Spanish Slang dicitionary before I approach other people.

I'm sure most of you recognize my posting style, but I'm not signing this one.
Rodrigo   Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:38 pm GMT
Thanks for the answers, I find a slang dictionary a VERY good idea. Does anybody know a good one? Or are there any on-line? I asked in the forum because slang words change throughout regions and I wanted to pinpoint the meaning my friend was trying to express.
Guest   Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:03 pm GMT
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Okay, Rodrigo, what else do you need?
Your Majesty Rodrigo I   Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 pm GMT
Your Majesty is now satisfied Guest, you have have served your King.(?)
Guest   Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
(?)?
Rodrigo   Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:30 am GMT
I use (?) to show sarcasm, wikipedia has an article about the sarcasm mark and shows other ways to show it, of which (?) is the easiest to type.
furrykef   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
<< I use (?) to show sarcasm >>

That's a bad idea, because it suggests something entirely different to me and probably everyone else. To me, it suggests something more like "I'm not sure about what I just said." Just because a symbol exists doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it.

- Kef
K. T.   Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
It doesn't make sense to me. Kef is right. If someone is helping you, I wouldn't respond with sarcasm.
Rodrigo   Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
I'm sorry, you are right. I really appreciate everybody's help but I misunderstood what Guest meant. We live in a global world and my friends understand what (?) means but I've just realised not everyone gets it. I also decided to use (?) because it's the symbol used in closed captioning but I think from now on I should probably write something easier to understand. Thanks for pointing out that that symbol is not universally understood, this being a forum about languages and communication, I think it is important to correct these ambiguities before we use them in situations where a misunderstanding could cause deeper trouble.
I really want to thank Guest, it was only that it sounded awkward to me and I assumed he was teasing but probably it was not the case.