another way to say "thank god"

Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm GMT
Actually, when I say "Oh my God" I am referring to MY God, not the Christian God.
Ron   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
<<>><<Honestly, "Thank gosh!" sounds really silly so me, just like other sorts of "minced oaths" and whatnot...>>

What about "oh gosh!"? How does that sound?<<

Just the same to me.>>

Well what sounds even more silly is for an atheist to say "oh God!" denying their own beliefs. If you tell people you're not religious, they can freely say to you "Then why do you say things that clearly relate to religion?". Nonreligious people shouldn't be saying those things.
I ate spam   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:53 pm GMT
Bob: I found your dog.

Jenny: (replies the following)

Cheers
Ta (for the appreciative)

Really
Great (For the Dead pan)

Bonzer (for the Aussies)

Like I Care (for the dis-affectionate)

HEFKE (for the tongue tied)
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:54 pm GMT

Jenny: (replies the following)

I hate spam (for those who frequent Antimoon)
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:02 pm GMT
baBy HiT mE OnE mOrE tImE

Britney lives!!!
furrykef   Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
<< Nonreligious people shouldn't be saying those things. >>

Perhaps you shouldn't be telling nonreligious people what they should be saying. It's just an expression. "Oh God!" has about as much to do with God as "Oh crap!" has to do with excrement.

- Kef
Ron   Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
<<Perhaps you shouldn't be telling nonreligious people what they should be saying. It's just an expression. "Oh God!" has about as much to do with God as "Oh crap!" has to do with excrement.>>

Do you agree then that atheists shouldn't be complaining about the "B.C" and "A.D." abbreviations and the "in God we trust" on coins, if they themselves are saying "oh God!"
K. T.   Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
I think the OP is just being inflammatory. If he or she simply wrote, "I don't believe in God/gods and I want say something in place of that expression because intellectual and linguistic integrity ought to go hand in hand", then I could accept that query as genuine. However, the OP reminds me of the poster who wants to force his/her opinion that belief in God or religion is bunk and those who believe in such a way are primitive, unlearned folk.

What a coward!
furrykef   Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:12 am GMT
<< Do you agree then that atheists shouldn't be complaining about the "B.C" and "A.D." abbreviations and the "in God we trust" on coins, if they themselves are saying "oh God!" >>

I don't object to "B.C." and "A.D.", but the phrase "in God we trust" is a lot more meaningful than "Oh God!". If it weren't, then religious people wouldn't be so upset at the idea of removing the words from the coins, would they? (I personally don't care one way or the other, but I understand why other atheists don't like it.)

- Kef
Guest   Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:43 am GMT
They don't use BC and AC anymore, instead they use BCE and CE. Obviously someone dropped out of school.
Skippy   Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:53 am GMT
Actually A.D. and B.C. are still widely used. History texts are one by one replacing these in their later editions, but they remain in spoken use and are frequently used in published materials.
han   Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:31 am GMT
Hmm, if atheists are complaining about the "B.C" and "A.D.", they should also be demanding a new year system, no? ...2007...??

Well, I don't believe in God as well, but say "oh my God" sometimes... perhaps on those moments where something that seemed really impossible actually happens, like, there is really someone higher looking out for us... though there is not...

This is probably not a good example, but I would more likely say:
Jenny: Really?? No way!