dreamt vs dreamed

K. T.   Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:39 am GMT
Guest, I don't know how old YOU are! My friend from the country is under 40. However, I don't want to get into what's "old" here. I think Uriel is closest to my age.
Jasper   Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:06 am GMT
I'm 45.

The love of language transcends age, I believe. If anything, I'm more obsessed about it now than I ever was in my 20s.
Guest   Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:52 am GMT
I'm 13 and and my love for languages transcends all my other hobbies!!!
Guest   Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
I don't think you are old at all, Jasper, but I also misjudged your age. I also don't think Jim H. is "old". I only mentioned the age thing/issue because I thought people were asking about usage in relation to one's age. Like you, I am more interested in languages now than when I was in my teens and twenties, but I've always had an interest in languages because I hate it when I can't understand something.

I also disagree with some people who seem to think that people are too old to learn a language or improve their accent in English. It is simply not true from what I know. I know a man who learned Mandarin after the age of 50 and got a job interview in Hong Kong. I admit that this gentleman is an all-around genius and he already spoke three or four languages, but none of them were related to Chinese!

Recently I have seen two senior citizens and another lady from a Slavic countries learn to speak English after only three and a half months of classes. Their progress has been phenomenal. Two of them had the same teacher. The teacher didn't even go to college until she was forty. She is now...eighty-six and teaching in a community service program.

Wow!
K. T.   Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:11 pm GMT
Sorry, that was from K. T.

"from Slavic countries"
furrykef   Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:05 pm GMT
<< Come to think of it, it's much EASIER to say "Dreamt" and "Ruint" and "Spelt"...That "ed" on the end is just so much effort... >>

Is it? "Dreamed", "ruined", and "spelled" come naturally for me, since they all end in voiced consonants. I don't find either set easier than the other.
K. T.   Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:12 pm GMT
Well, to me it's "slightly" easier to say. I was talking about tiny bits of effort and a little bit of humour (which was missed)...
Uriel   Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:05 pm GMT
I tend to say dreamed, ruined, and spelled, and I'm 35, American, non-Southerner. I might say dreamt once in a while, but I would never say ruint or spelt (except for the grain, as you say).
Lo   Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 pm GMT
<<I'm American and I always use "dreamt," but the rest of my family uses "dreamed." Certain variants, though, like "whilst" or "spelt" are rarely used in the States.>>

I say spelled but i say misspelt.

I always say dreamed.
Jim   Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 pm GMT
I say "dreamt" and "spelt" but "ruined".