you're welcome

TY   Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
Is there another way to answer thank you?
Guest   Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
No problem?
Skippy   Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:11 pm GMT
Don't worry about it
no worries
no problem
for sure
sure thing
anytime
my pleasure

or you could always go with "no, thank YOU" lol
furrykef   Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
<< No problem >>

For some reason, a lot of people (at least in the U.S.) hate that one, especially older people, probably because it's so common. They lament that "no problem" is replacing "you're welcome", as if it's particularly significant that an artificial, pre-arranged, meaningless set of sounds might be replaced by another. But that's just my opinion. I'm not particularly opposed to saying "you're welcome"; I just think it's mildly silly that people actually care about such things, especially since the same people probably don't put much thought into "you're welcome" when they say it themselves.

So it's safest to stick with "you're welcome", at least here, but there are certainly alternatives. It also may vary by region, too. I think "no worries" is popular in Australia and/or New Zealand, but I don't know to what extent. It's unheard of where I live, but it would still be understood.

<< or you could always go with "no, thank YOU" lol >>

You have to say that one just right, though. There's a specific prosody associated with it.

- Kef
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:01 am GMT
for sure?
sure thing?

I never heard it
Skippy   Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:18 am GMT
I probably hear "for sure" or "sure thing" more often than "you're welcome."
SpaceFlight   Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:35 am GMT
"don't mention it" is another. "you're welcome" has another meaning that's different from the meaning discussed here being:

"You're welcome to the party" which is just the meaning of "you're" plus "welcome".
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:10 pm GMT
Is "you're welcome" always appropriate in every occasion?
Jim   Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm GMT
In Australia you can say "No wuckin' furries." (rhymes with "curries") or just "No wuckers."
Ghyst   Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 pm GMT
<<"No wuckers.">>

How would it sound if instead of someone saying "no wuckers" after you said thank you to them, they said "no fuckers".

Person 1: Thank you!

Person 2: No fuckers!
Jim   Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
I don't really know.
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
What about "(it's) peanuts"?
A new guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
What about "(it's) peanuts"?
guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
"Thank you!"

"It's alright!" ('s-a'ight!)