Equity and equality?

nick   Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:49 pm GMT
what's the difference between these two words in the meaning?
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 am GMT
Equity:
1 a : justice according to natural law or right; specifically : freedom from bias or favoritism b : something that is equitable

2 a : a system of law originating in the English chancery and comprising a settled and formal body of legal and procedural rules and doctrines that supplement, aid, or override common and statute law and are designed to protect rights and enforce duties fixed by substantive law b : trial or remedial justice under or by the rules and doctrines of equity c : a body of legal doctrines and rules developed to enlarge, supplement, or override a narrow rigid system of law

3 a : a right, claim, or interest existing or valid in equity b : the money value of a property or of an interest in a property in excess of claims or liens against it c : a risk interest or ownership right in property d : the common stock of a corporation

#3 Is probably the most common definition of "equity" used today in most of society. For example, when someone pays off part, more or all of their mortgage they are said to have "equity in their house".

Equality: : the quality or state of being equal.
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:20 am GMT
They are not equal in meaning.
Skippy   Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 am GMT
When I think of equity I think of Guest's definition #3 (though I'm sure they're all correct).

Equality tends to refer to political or economic (or, inequality thereof) equality.