till

Franco   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:25 am GMT
Is "till" short word for "until"? Why does till have two ls when until has only one?
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:33 am GMT
Well, it is an irregularity of a language. Exceptions exist in every language. That's why most proficient users of the language are those who don't analyze the language but learn it intuitively. Your above question won't make your a proficient user of the language!
M56   Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:17 am GMT
It's not short for "until".

Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un–, meaning “up to.”
M56   Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:18 am GMT
...In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/43/T0214300.html
furrykef   Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:06 am GMT
I'm not sure if a reanalysis of a word is etymologically incorrect in and of itself. After all, the sequence till -> until -> 'til seems logical enough, even if "till" remained in use the entire time.

I have to disagree with the Guest above... I think it's perfectly fine to want explanations like these. It's not good to *require* explanations... you should still be able to understand grammar without understanding why it is the way it is, because the reasons for things like these are seldom helpful. But having curiosity is not itself a bad thing.

- Kef
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:20 am GMT
<Well, it is an irregularity of a language.>

It's not accidental. Read above.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:22 am GMT
<But having curiosity is not itself a bad thing. >
Save your curiosity for better things.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:35 am GMT
<<Save your curiosity for better things. >>

Better in whose mind?
Lazar   Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 pm GMT
<<Why does till have two ls when until has only one?>>

That's because there was a tendency in English to use <ll> for monosyllabic words, but <l> for related polysyllabic words. This pattern can be seen in pairs like <pall, appal>, <still, instil>, <still, distil>, <fill, fulfil>, <thrall, enthral>, <roll, enrol>, <stall, instal>, <null, annul>, and <till, until>. In American English, most of these polysyllabic words were changed from <l> to <ll>, supposedly in order to make the spelling more consistent; but this change has left "annul" and "until" as unreformed relics, and it's rendered the reformed items inconsistent with other polysyllabic words such as "rebel", "dispel", "impel", "compel", "control". I'm American, but I prefer the unreformed spellings with <l>. (In fact, some later American spelling reformers proposed bringing back the <l> spellings, as you can see here http://www.johnreilly.info/trlist.htm in Theodore Roosevelt's spelling proposal.)
Franco   Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm GMT
Yes, you're right. I shouldn't be curious about it. Normally, I keep my curiosity for the works of Freud. How uncharacter of me!
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
It's "uncharacteristic", Franco.
John   Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
till has more than one meaning:

Verb:
to work by plowing, sowing, and raising crops : cultivate

Noun:
a: a box, drawer, or tray in a receptacle (as a cabinet or chest) used especially for valuables b: a money drawer in a store or bank; also : cash register2 a: the money contained in a till b: a supply of especially ready money

Noun: (less commonly used)
unstratified glacial drift consisting of clay, sand, gravel, and boulders intermingled
Ricky-Bobby   Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
They are totally different words.... If you want to be technical, the word "till" usually means to plow.
M56   Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
<If you want to be technical, the word "till" usually means to plow. >

In which century. I'd think the first meaning that jumps to mind for most speakers is "till" as a synoym of "until", second, for Brits, a cash register, and last "to plow".
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:01 pm GMT
In my mind, "till" first evokes 'working the ground' ('tilling').

Although "till" (prep/conj) appeared first, and is the more correct form from an etymological perspective, I actually now regard it as a shortening of "until" as " 'til ".

It's funny how it's worked itself backwards...