In time or on time

Sarosh Khan   Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am GMT
What is the difference between them?

I came on time.
I came in time.

Does on/in alter the sense?
John   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 pm GMT
To me "came on time" means that got where you had to be by the time you were expected to be there.

"came in time" would imply that you arrived somewhere and that you were able to experience something that you would not have had you arrived later. I think "came in time" implies less urgency.

Example:

I was on time for the job interview and was not late.
I came in time to hear the band play before the match.
John   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:14 pm GMT
Sorry the first line should have been:

To me "came on time" means that YOU got where you had to be by the time you were expected to be there.

proofread proofread proofread....
Damian in London E14   Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
The train arrived ON time = the train arrived at the time stated in the time table schedule - btw this is pronouned SHED-yule! :-) The train arrived at the expected time. I arrived at the meeting ON time = I was not late, I was there at the appointed time.

I arrived IN time = I arrived at a time which enabled me to be at a certain place to see something, do something, to witness an event or an occurrence which otherwise would have meant I would have been too late for this to be the case. My name is Justin Thyme.
guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:24 pm GMT
"on time" means "at the (specified) time". reference is only to that time (not any info about time before)

"in time" ["within {enough} time"] includes "on time", but also indicates a span of time (window of time) BEFORE "on time", so arriving "in time" could have been "at the (specified) time" or slightly earlier.