Super Duper Tuesday (English/Polish)

Robin   Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:37 am GMT
I would like to know if any one would like to comment on 'Super Duper Tuesday'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Duper_Tuesday

This word 'Super Duper': how widely can it be applied? For instance, if you see a nice looking woman walking down the road, would it be appropriate to say:

"Golly! what a 'super duper' young lady!"

Bye for now

Robin
Skippy   Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:44 am GMT
"Super duper" is something you would hear kids say. "That's super duper!" and such, but if I heard an adult refer to a young lady as "super duper" I would immediately think he's trying to call her a nerd (by using language she may use, similar to someone mocking another person by saying "gosh darnit" if the other person is uninclined to say "god dammit"
furrykef   Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 am GMT
"Super duper" is always a humorous term, and indeed usually used by children. It's usually used to imply something beyond just "super". Imagine two kids pretending they were in space, and arguing over who was the better space marine... "Well, I have a super ray gun!" "Oh yeah? Well, *I* have a *super duper* ray gun!"

- Kef
Robin   Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 am GMT
What does 'Dobra Dupa' mean?
Skippy   Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm GMT
Is that Polish?
Robin   Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
Dobra: Good or Super

Dupa: Arse or 'Ass' in American

It gives a new twist to the expression: 'Super Dupa'

Bye for now

Robin
Robin   Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
Where in the world is the expression 'super duper' most appropriate?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071102/tts-lifestyle-germany-fashion-offbeat-eb7e0e4_1.html

On a more serious side, there was a lot of Polish emigration to the States, and it is not surprising that a few Polish words like 'brat' should have crept into the English language.

I wonder if any one else has any examples.

Possibly Borat "Cultural Leanings of America" is a good place to look?

Bye for now

Robin
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 am GMT
I really do think that we Britons should make the effort and get to learn a little of the Polish Language - I think that some of us have actually done so already, so proflic has Polish now become on the streets of Britain.

Polish migrants have now found their way to even the remoter rural parts of this Sceptered Isle. By the look of the Language that may be quite a challenge but hopefully it would be easier than we imagine.

There is only one mega problem - the Poles seem to be more concerned with becoming more proficient in English than they are with teaching Brits some words of Polish. It's true that some Brits are now familiar with a few Polish expressions but they are mainly profanities.

Latest news -the current UK Government is now set to make it compulsory for ALL immigrants to this country to learn English. Whether or not they have to do this before they are allowed in or ASAP after they are admitted remains to be seen. This is, after all, a Government of hot air and spin.