wanna innernational

julia   Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:26 am GMT
why do people say "want to" as "wanna" and "international" as "innernational"?

i personally find this very disturbing......................

if those words are said like that, then why don't they just change the spellings of those words in the dictionary?

:(
furrykef   Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:15 am GMT
Well, grammatically speaking, "wanna" isn't a single word. At least, not any more than "want to" is. It's only pronounced like one.

Spelling "international" as "innernational" would obscure the meaning of the word. "Inter-" means among/between; "inner" means inside. And some people do pronounce the "t", so they would find changing the spelling illogical.

- Kef
julia   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
ya but why do some people say those words like that????????????????

THAT'S MY QUESTION
Lo   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
A lot of people in America have a tendency to drop T's from words, it's really common to hear stuff like cenner (center,) dennis (dentist,) etc. I don't know why this happens really, I'm just guessing it makes speech more fluent, the T just stops you.
Another thing that's pretty common, at least here in SoCal, is the unreleased T.
Unreleased T is when you place your tongue as if you were going to produce the T sound but no air comes from your mouth. This happens quite a lot when words end with the letter T, so lot would become /lQt¬/
furrykef   Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:41 am GMT
julia - people do things like that in every language. You probably just don't notice. It happens because the sounds just naturally blend together that way. What's your native language?

- Kef