running, runneen, or runnin'

Rom   Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:43 pm GMT
Which one do you say? Do you actually say -ing or does it come out as -een or -in'?
Lazar   Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Most of the time I pronounce present particples and gerunds with [IN] on the end. In rapid speech, I sometimes pronounce it as [In] (or [n=] if it follows [d] or [t]). But the vowel is always lax - I never pronounce it as [iN] or [in].
american nic   Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:19 am GMT
Usually -een, but -in' if I speaking quickly.
Travis   Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:22 am GMT
For present participles I use both /IN/ (-"ing") and and /In/ (-"in"), while for gerunds I use only /IN/ (-"ing"). I do not use /iN/ (-"eeng") or /in/ (-"een") for either present participles or gerunds at all myself.
Rom   Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:16 am GMT
Interesting. Here in the Pacific NW, I've never heard anything besides -een (possibly sometimes -eeng, but I doubt it.) It's never exactly an -ing, but here it's *never* pronounced as -in', even in the fastest, most casual speech.
Mxsmanic   Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:11 am GMT
Not even for "going"?

I usually pronounce something that sounds more like -een than -ing in ordinary speech for many words ending in -ing. The -ing sound is there in many cases but it's extremely weak. For some words, I typically pronounce -in, as in the case of going. The most casual pronunciation is -in, with -een being typical in more careful speech, and -ing being the preferred pronunciation for the most careful speech.

Sometimes I think it's just that the -ing is so light that it's hard to hear. It's a bit like the uvular fricative 'r' in French: in standard French, this consonant is pronounced so gently that it can barely be heard, but students of French who are just learning the sound tend to exaggerate it until they sound like they are choking on something. Similarly, someone who pronounces -ing very deliberately in English sounds a bit odd. And it's hard to speak fast if you pronounce all the -ing sounds by the book.
Rom   Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 pm GMT
>>Not even for "going"? <<
Yes, especially not for going. I just tried to say "goin'" and it's actually much harder for me to say than "goeen". (I've never heard "goin'" before except for people trying to imitate a Southern accent.) We do say "gunna" for "going to" though, but never "goin' to".
Lazar   Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:40 pm GMT
<<I've never heard "goin'" before except for people trying to imitate a Southern accent.>>

In rapid, informal speech I might say "goin'", and I am *extremely* non-Southern. And it wouldn't even be in a comical sense, as it would be if I were saying some Southernism like "y'all". I think "goin'" is much more widespread than you think.
Rom   Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:29 pm GMT
>> I think "goin'" is much more widespread than you think.<<
I don't doubt that. You're right it is very wide spread--but it does not exist here for some reason. It's just how someone around here would imitate a Southern or even a "non-educated" sounding accent. "Aaah'm a-goin' tuh the stowaah."
Travis   Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:52 pm GMT
>><<I've never heard "goin'" before except for people trying to imitate a Southern accent.>>

In rapid, informal speech I might say "goin'", and I am *extremely* non-Southern. And it wouldn't even be in a comical sense, as it would be if I were saying some Southernism like "y'all". I think "goin'" is much more widespread than you think.<<

I, similarly, in informal speech use "goin" quite heavily in normal usage, and I likewise have very little to do with the South (actually, my dialect is probably closer to Canadian English dialects than to Southern American English dialects, at that). Really, I think your (your being Rom's, not Lazar's) view of the overall distribution of "goin" and like is rather unlike reality, simply because of you not having it locally, and thus thinking of it as "nonstandard" and thus ascribing it primarily to dialects that you view as deprecated to some degree or another, as shown by your use of the words "'non-educating' sounding accent".
Rom   Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:11 pm GMT
>>thus ascribing it primarily to dialects that you view as deprecated to some degree or another, as shown by your use of the words "'non-educating' sounding accent".<<

I didn't mean to say that people here would think you were speaking a non-standard dialect if you used "goin'". I simply meant that people here would only say it like that when they are faking another accent.
abde   Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:18 pm GMT
all that's amazing! I'm a foreign english speaker. I was surprised when my little brother asked me once :" do we pronounce the /g/ or not?" my reply was : as you like both are correct . I was not sure my answer was right. I myself pronouce it from time to time, when? I can't say when and why.
what do you think?