I and me

Guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm GMT
I agree with guest. Using the wrong register in the wrong circumstance denotes a lack education itself.
Lo   Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:52 pm GMT
I don't really agree. I don't think I judge people by the use of the pronoun, but more by the use of vocabulary.
I wouldn't consider someone pedantic, like Kef said, if they say "She's got more cats that I." However, if they'd say "Yo, that b!itch ain't got as many cats as I do" I would definitely consider them uneducated lol.
guest   Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:33 pm GMT
<<"Yo, that b!itch ain't got as many cats as I do" I would definitely consider them uneducated lol. >>

I talk like that a LOT! and like I sadi I am "educated."

This is just my opinion, but when someone is truly wise (education included), they don't have to put on airs or hide behind a veneer of erudition (CRAP)...c'mon, we all know those kinds of people.

Oftentimes, "education" can be a cover-up for some people...

I tend to avoid them.
Lo   Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:50 pm GMT
Guest, I didn't mean to offend you at all, I'm sorry if I did.
I don't know what kind of "education" you're talking about really, but it really isn't depicting of much education referring to someone as a "b!itch" unless it's in a very familiar and joking-around situation, I'm not judging you, I don't even know you, and I know people that are educated and do speak like that. However, if I didn't and I was walking down the street or whatever and hear them say "that b!itch ain't got as many cats as I do" I'd think to myself they're not very educated.
It is prejudice and I admit to it.
H Tuggy   Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 am GMT
I looked up "than" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and was shocked to see it listed as also being a preposition. The first listing has than as a conjunction, providing the example (older ~ I am). The preposition listing has the example (older ~ me), which would make sense, since me would therefore be the object of a preposition.
The Cambridge online dictionary lists than as a conjunction or preposition, but does not allow the objective pronouns in its examples. I find that also to be confusing.
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/t.html discusses this issue and points out that for centuries English and American writers have used the objective case with than, thus treating it as a preposition.
I wish I knew why English confuses nominative with other cases (objective, etc.) when other languages don't have that tendency.
This makes teaching English so confusing!
Milton   Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 am GMT
''I wish I knew why English confuses nominative with other cases (objective, etc.) when other languages don't have that tendency. ''

This is not true. Brazilian Portuguese is also known for ''messing with clitics''. It's a tendency inherited form archaic Portuguese:

''Eu amo você'' (I love you)
''Eu amo ela'' (I love her, lit. ''I love she'')
''Ela a gente ama muito'' (We love her much, lit ''She we love much'')

É nós. (It's us, lit. ''It is we'') instead of A gente é/Nós somos (We are).
Está na hora de mim ir embora. (It's time for me to go lit ''It's hour for me going) instead of Está na hora de eu ir embora (lit. ''It's hour for my going).

both Entre eu e você (Between you and I) and Entre mim e você (Between you and me) are used in Brazil, but Entre eu e você (Between you and I) is preferred, just like in Spanish, and unlike Continental POrtuguese (which prefers ''Entre mim e ti/si'' (Between you and me)''

In Brazilian Portuguese dialects, just like in English (dialects)
object pronouns can be used as subjects and vice versa...

Me likes = Mim gosta. ;)
I like = Eu gosto.
For me = Pra mim
For (you and) I/me = Pra você e eu/mim

;)