One Size

K. T.   Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:45 pm GMT
Sometimes I read about people promoting a certain method relating to language learning. I can tell you that I used different methods, but I still ended up understanding my target language and have always been able to speak after some practice. I'm not saying that Thomas, Pimsleur, Berlitz, Callan or others are charlatans, I just don't believe that one size fits all language learners because we all bring different things to the table, so to speak.

1. Someone who is musical probably will enjoy songs, rapping in a new language, maybe even poetry.

2. Analytical types may want to read all about the language, and grammar.

3. Some people will learn through immersion, kind of like a hands-on approach, but this is OVERRATED, imo.

The only thing that works is finding things that work for you.

Any thoughts?
K. T.   Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:15 pm GMT
I'm not sure that is true for everyone, but then I suppose we should define what "immersion" means.

It could mean:

An immersion period of several days, or months

or

total immersion into the society where the language is taught

or

occasional classes taught only in the target language with no explanation in the learner's native or other strong language.

I've seen immersion work with kids. I was in a kind of immersion situation a few times and I did okay, but I'm not sure people will be able to learn to write well in this way.

I'm open to discussion of this.
Guest   Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
Immersion is only useful I think if you already have a basis in the language. You must know grammar and have a entry-level vocabulary to it to be of any use.