Emergency Medical Quiz

K. T.   Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:28 am GMT
Here are some common medical and health-related questions. Can you put them in your language or another language you know well? Thanks. You may save a life.

Are you allergic to anything?

What medications are you taking?

What brings you to the hospital/clinic/office today?

How many times have have you been hospitalized and for what reason?

Are you having chest/jaw/arm pain?
K. T.   Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 am GMT
Lesser-known languages are okay, too. Thanks.
Calliope   Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:04 am GMT
Greek:

Είστε αλλεργικός σε κάτι;

Τι φάρμακα παίρνετε;

Για ποιό λόγο ήρθατε στο νοσοκομείο/στην κλινική/στο ιατρείο σήμερα; (note: I assume that by "office" you mean doctor's office, right?)

Πόσες φορές έχετε εισαχθεί στο νοσοκομείο και γιατί;

Έχετε πόνους στο στήθος/στο σαγόνι/στους βραχίονες;
greg   Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
Voici une proposition de traduction :

Souffrez-vous d'allergie(s) ?

Médication actuelle.

Motif(s) de la consultation.

Historique et motif(s) des hospitalisations antérieures.

Douleurs pulmonaires ? Aux mâchoires ? Aux bras ?
Guest   Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
SCB:

Imate li alergiju na nešto?

Koje lekove uzimate?

Zašto ste došli kod lekara?

Koliko puta ste bili u bolnici i zašto?

Da li imate bolove u grudima/čeljusti/rukama?
michael   Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:29 pm GMT
in German:

Haben Sie irgendwelche Allergien?

Nehmen Sie irgendwelche Medikamente?

Was fehlt Ihnen?

Wie oft waren Sie bereits im Krankenhaus und warum?

Haben Sie Brustschmerzen / Kieferschmerzen / Armschmerzen?
K. T.   Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
note: I assume that by "office" you mean doctor's office, right?)-Calliope

Yes, that's correct.

Thank-you for all of the translations thus far. They are all valuable.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:04 pm GMT
Thank you for an opportunity to help people and thus improve our karma. Good job, secret agent K.T.
Rodrigo   Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
¿Tiene alguna alergia?
¿Qué medicamentos está tomando? (medicamentos is by far the most standard word but take into account some people may say remedios, drogas, pastillas)
¿Por qué vino al hospital/ la clínica/ el doctor hoy? (¿Qué lo trae is literally what brings you but it is too formal and elaborate for emergencies especially if you deal with many nationalities)
¿Cuántas veces lo han hospitalizado, y por qué?
¿Tiene dolor de pecho, mandíbula o brazos? or less formally and more simple: ¿Le duele el pecho, la mandíbiula o los brazos?

I used usted because they used vous in French and I am assuming it is a written form but if you think you need o warmer more familiar approach please tell me and I'll re-write them with tú.

A good way to test them is to see if a person learning this language can easily understand it, and I perfectly understand the French translations.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:39 pm GMT
"I used usted because they used vous in French and I am assuming it is a written form but if you think you need o warmer more familiar approach please tell me and I'll re-write them with tú"

I don't know in American Spanish but in my latin language a doctor would always use a formal approach with a patient unless he/she were a child or a teen.
K. T.   Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
I'm not a secret agent, lol. I hope my spouse didn't write that. I get teased about that at home.

I occasionally interpret for Spanish-speaking patients. I use "usted" because that's how I learned. I have interpreted for pediatrics, but I dealt with the parent, so I used "vous" in French.

I do appreciate your help in Spanish, though. I've found that there are some differences in word usage between countries.

I was called to the Emergency Room to interpret for a Greek lady once. Someone made a mistake and thought she was speaking Spanish, I think. I wish I'd had Calliope's words, then.
Yop   Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
<Someone made a mistake and thought she was speaking Spanish, I think. I wish I'd had Calliope's words, then.>

How are you planning to use the translations into languages that you don't speak, by the way? Will you print them for the patients to read and ask them to answer each question by yes or no?
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:03 pm GMT
K. T
Are you a doctor?
Guest   Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
I translated your questions in Serbian because that was the language your refugees spoke. Every S,C,B,M or H will understand it.
Rodrigo   Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 am GMT
The word usage does vary and I tried to make it as neutral as possible, though I probably would not use those expressions.