How do u pronounce "federal"?

nick   Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:33 am GMT
should I skip the "e" between "d" and "r", and connect "d" and "r", so pronounce like "fe_drl" or I heard some ppl pronounce "fed_rl", which I should pronounce.
Skippy   Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:01 am GMT
In the US it is pronounced with the vowel between the d and the r.
Marc   Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:00 am GMT
It's actually pronounced like "fed" "role" if you roll the two words together.

[fEdrol] I think it'd be in IPA. In careful speech "fetter role" [fErr\=ol]. There's no vowel between the d and the r except for a syllabic r.
Lazar   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:17 am GMT
In British and American English, it's fine to pronounce it with either two or three syllables: General American ["fEdr\5=] or ["fE4@`5=]. (I pronounce it ["fEdr\5=].) But I've never heard of it being pronounced with [o]; and if this pronunciation does exist in some dialects, it certainly isn't so widespread that it could be put forth as standard.
Lazar   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:24 am GMT
Clarification: I've never heard of it being pronounced with [ol] or [o5]. There are several dialects, like Estuary or AAVE, where if I'm not mistaken they would pronounce it with final [o].
Marc   Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:37 pm GMT
Yeah, actually I think you're right. It just sounded like an "o" or an "uh" in there, but that's probably just the syllabic "L".
mary   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:02 pm GMT
( Fe Dur AL )

=]
Travis   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:30 pm GMT
My pronunciation of "federal" is somewhat weird. I normally pronounce it ["f3_+:4RM=:], while ["f3_+:dZr\M=:] would be expected in the dialect here for historical /fEdr@l/. At the same time, I sometimes pronounce it ["f3+::RM:]. As a result, such pronunciations seem to reflect historical /"fEd@r@l/, except that the first /@/ is *always* elided or assimlated away so it never reaches surface forms in the dialect here.
nick   Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
I am so confused with XSAMPA. I am sorry, Lazar, I can't understand the two different pronounciation u wrote, I think I can pronunce it either ˈfed_rəl" or ˈfe-də-rəl", I hope I am right.
Lazar   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
(Here's a guide to X-SAMPA and IPA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA ) Yes, those are basically the two pronunciations: something like "fedral" or "fedderal".
nick   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:21 pm GMT
Thanks.