making a request

parazumtroplazinction   Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:12 am GMT
For non-writing communication, what's a good way of making a request other than saying "Could you.."?
I find myself keep using "Could you.." to make a request and I find it embarrassing.
I know you can also use "Please..." but this sounds too formal in a conversation, especially between classmates, so I'm hesitant to use it.
What are alternatives to this?
parazumtroplazinction   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 am GMT
Thanks, Josh Lalonde.
I'm just wondering, but does the fact that I was stuck with one expression and couldn't find another alternative one indicate that I'm not proficient in English?
Can native speakers be like this, too?
parazumtroplazinction   Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:10 am GMT
In other words, can native speakers self-generate the expressions they need, or do they have to imitate or use the ones already made by forerunners? Sorry if this question sounds weird.
Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:52 am GMT
That's a somewhat theoretical subject, isn't it? It is clear that both native speakers and learners of a language can generate new expressions they have never heard before, but I think that most of the time people just repeat things they've heard.
furrykef   Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:01 pm GMT
<< I'm just wondering, but does the fact that I was stuck with one expression and couldn't find another alternative one indicate that I'm not proficient in English? >>

It might if you say a long series of requests, one after another, using the same structure every time. "Could you do this? Now could you do that? OK, could you..." But otherwise, I think most people wouldn't notice.

- Kef