Some more sounds in American pronunciation

Someone   Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
Want to clarify how the following should be pronounced. Im referring to the *American* accent only.

1. Poll/Toll - is it the aw-sound or the oU-sound ("pole")?

2. Freakin' - (informal word) is it the short-I (as in "frickin") or the long-ee as in "freeking"?

3. He'll - (he will) - is this form pronounced always as "hill" or "heel?" For some reason, I think I've heard both, with "heel" being used to emphasize the he-part. Are both of these possible?
Guest   Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:11 pm GMT
I'm an American.

1. Both Poll & Toll rhyme with "pole" (oU-sound)

2. it's " Freekin' " (ee-sound) for me. " Frickin' " , which I also use, is a synonym with the same origin/or is a corruption of Freaking.

I use "freaking" as a verb: "I'm freaking out!"
and "frickin' " as an adj/intensifier: "No frickin' way dude!"

3. He'll is pronounced as "heel" generally. "Hill" sounds kuntry
Someone   Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
Thanks, Guest.
Northwesterner   Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:09 am GMT
1) poll [p_hoUl] toll [t_hoUl]. Like "pole" and "told", not "Paul" and "tall".

2) -in' generally means that they are transcribing dialect in English orthography. It means that the "g" is left off, although there really is no "g" to begin with--In other words it means to use [n] rather than the velar nasal. In my Northwestern dialect, I pronounce all unstressed -ing's as [in] (een) rather than the "ing" as in "sing". Thus there is no distinction between the final consonant in the words singing, and singin'. However if the word is purposely spelt with -in', then I would pronounce it with a lax "i", although even in very informal speech, I would not use [In] (in) for -ing words. (Nor would I pronounce (unstressed) -ing as -ing in my formal registers--it's always -een. However, sing, king, etc. are not affected). Most North American dialects have both -ing and -in' however. -ing is for formal speech, -in' for casual speech. Since "freaking" is a slang word, it would make sense that it gets the informal -in' form. More frequent use of -ing is also associated with the middle class, with the upper and upper middle class coming in second, and the working/lower class using -in' more frequently.

3) The distinction between tense and lax [I] [i] before an <l> or <r> is neutralized. To me, I think it usually sounds more like "hill" than "heel".

>> "Hill" sounds kuntry <<

I disagree.
Lazar   Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:04 am GMT
<<3) The distinction between tense and lax [I] [i] before an <l> or <r> is neutralized.>>

You mean, in your dialect, right? This tense-lax neutralization is pretty much universal before /r/, except in the Northeast, but it's not nearly so common before /l/. Using [I5] in a word like "feel" or (stressed) "he'll" would definitely sound odd to me (even though I know it's common in some areas). Even unstressed "he'll" I think I usually pronounce with [i], although I suspect that there may be some people who use [I] there, as a simple reduced form, without otherwise having the tense-lax neutralization.
Northwesterner   Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:34 am GMT
>> although I suspect that there may be some people who use [I] there, as a simple reduced form, without otherwise having the tense-lax neutralization. <<

Ah, that's what it might be. Sorry I made a mistake. I do not merge feel and fill. However, for some reason, I associate "he'll" with "hill" rather than "heal", which almost sounds like hee-ole.
Northeasterner   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:11 am GMT
<<I do not merge feel and fill. However, for some reason, I associate "he'll" with "hill" rather than "heal">>

Same here.
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 am GMT
I'm from California and I also pronounce "he'll" the same as "hill" rather than "heal". I also pronounce "she'll" and "shill".
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:52 am GMT
*I pronounce "she'll" and "shill" the same, as well.
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:43 pm GMT
<<*I pronounce "she'll" and "shill" the same, as well. >>

wow, I must be in the minority with "he'll" as "heel".

How do you pronounce "he's"? as "his"?
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
If you pronounce she'll" and "shill" the same way, then your English is too wrong.

'ee-eh as in pin
eh as in pen

A disk is not a desk.

A bitch is not a beach.

Study more about pronunciation, sirs!
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
Stop saying that Americans pronounce so badly like you do.
Travis   Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
Such a shift occurs here, but it is really not a true merger of "he'll" and "hill" and "she'll" and "shill". While in careful speech "he'll" and "she'll" are ["hi:M:] and ["Si:M:], in everyday speech they are ["hI:M_^] and ["SI:M_^]. However, "hill" and "shill" are actually ["hI_-:M_^] and ["SI_-:M_^] (even though I usually transcribe [I_-] as just [I] for the sake of succinctness). This difference is not great, but it is still audible in the dialect here.
Skippy   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:41 am GMT
Texas we say "hill" instead of "heal" for "he'll."
El Conquistador   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:57 am GMT
The super winner is me, shit!