coloured future

MollyB   Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
Jespersen has said that, when referring to the future, "will" is often coloured by an element of volition and "shall" by obligation. Joos has said that "be going to" seems to be the only uncoloured futue English has.

Do you think Jespersen and Joos are right?
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:24 pm GMT
I'm a non native English speaker, but it makes sense to me. Probably going to refers to an immediate future and will to an undefined future , what do you think?
MollyB   Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
<Probably going to refers to an immediate future and will to an undefined future , what do you think? >

Probably, but it's not distance in time that I'm interested in here. I'm questioning colourings.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:46 pm GMT
There are many cases where "will" is neutral:

"In both 2008 and 2014, Easter will fall on Sunday."

You can also say "falls" or "is going to fall" in this sentence.

"Shall" is often used in a normative way in specs:

"The overflow exception shall be signaled iff the destination format's largest finite number is exceedd in magnitude by what would have been the rounded floating-point result (Section 4) were the exponent range unbounded."
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:04 pm GMT
There are many cases where "will" is neutral:

You can also say "falls" or "is going to fall" in this sentence.

"The overflow exception shall be signaled iff the destination format's largest finite number is exceedd in magnitude by what would have been the rounded floating-point result (Section 4) were the exponent range unbounded."
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
<There are many cases where "will" is neutral:

You can also say "falls" or "is going to fall" in this sentence. >

I'm not sure that answers the thread question.

<"The overflow exception shall be signaled iff the destination format's largest finite number is exceedd in magnitude by what would have been the rounded floating-point result (Section 4) were the exponent range unbounded." >

Or that.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
<>'will' and 'going to' are both mostly neutral. >>

What do you mean by "neutral"?
Raghav   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
The distinction, as Fowler notes, is based on far more than "will" simply expressing volition (e.g. "A coat will last two years with care."). But you needn't really worry, as the distinction hasn't been observed in North America, Ireland, or Scotland for quite some time, and is openly flouted even in its stronghold, the south of England. It was born—made up, really—in the early modern period, and it will probably not outlive the 21st century.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:08 am GMT
<<It was born—made up, really—in the early modern period, and it will probably not outlive the 21st century. >>

Like "whom", hopefully.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
<<Like "whom", hopefully. >>

I wonder if "who" ever replace "whom" in this phrase:

"To whom it may concern:"
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:04 pm GMT
<I wonder if "who" ever replace "whom" in this phrase:

"To whom it may concern:" >

That phrase should be replaced by "I know I should know who I am writing to, but...".