French different from other Latin languages?

K. T.   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:09 am GMT
Genealogy is pretty interesting, though. I know mine, but no way am I going to share it here, lol.
JLK   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:15 am GMT
K.T. Wrote:

<<Colette,

I don't mean to be funny, but one in twelve Europeans is descended from royalty. I'm not kidding. That's because one in twelve is descended from Charlemagne.>>

Perhaps, but far fewer are direct descendants of Charlemagne like myself.:-)

Not to boast, I'm one of the few people in the world who can trace my lineage back 2000 years.

Colette: I speak a little Swedish and would like be fluent someday. Are you interested in the language?
K.T.   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:38 am GMT
Hmm, why is that? Is that a reference to Christianity?
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:43 am GMT
<<Not to boast, I'm one of the few people in the world who can trace my lineage back 2000 years.>>

You can say anything on the Internet.
Colette von Hessen   Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:06 am GMT
<<Colette,

I don't mean to be funny, but one in twelve Europeans is descended from royalty. I'm not kidding. That's because one in twelve is descended from Charlemagne.>>

K. T.,

Actually, it doesn't surprise me at all that 92% of Europeans do not have aristocratic family backgrounds.

Colette
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 am GMT
Feliz ano a todos y que la pasen bien cojiendo culitos.
Colette von Hessen   Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:12 am GMT
JLK,

That's great. That means you can also claim Charles Martel as an ascendant. He is one of my favorite heroes of our Western heritage. You can probably already know why.

I would like to learn one Scandinavian language to start with (probably not Icelandic first!)... I am not sure which one to do. I like Norwegian and have always had a thing for Norway, though I haven't been there yet. My German grandparents came from Schleswig-Holstein, so Danish might be good for the heritage stuff as well. Not sure... Anything because of the Norman background -- I want to feel closer to my roots. I have read that Normans were mainly from Denmark -- do you know if that is true? I love learning the languages in order to make me feel closer to my ancestors.