"I heart him"

topic   Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:37 am GMT
Hey guys,
I was wondering if the following phrase is gramatically correct:
"I heart him." If so, what does it mean?
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:26 am GMT
It doesn't mean anything.

It looks like you are trying to say either "I hurt him" or "I heard" him."
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:29 am GMT
It means "I love him."
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:05 am GMT
It's a bullshit phrase coined by 11 year olds.

They write often

I (draw a heart) him. I <3 him. or something

So they started saying that to be ironic.
Lazar   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:35 am GMT
Yes, it originated in the use of a heart symbol in place of the word "love", as in "I [heart] New York", meaning "I love New York". Then people started actually saying the word "heart", to be ironic or facetious.

(Haha, I almost typed "I heart spam" in the little box.)
polap   Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:57 am GMT
How can saying that be ironic??
Does that mean you actually don't love him?
furrykef   Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:34 am GMT
<< Does that mean you actually don't love him? >>

Usually, no, although it can be used that way if the context makes it clear. It's difficult to explain what is meant by "irony" here, though I do understand it. The idea is that using the heart symbol is supposed to be really "cutesy", even kinda "saccharine" (i.e., "too sweet"), and the irony is in using this symbol as a joke, when the person using it usually doesn't say or do "cutesy" things like that.

- Kef
polap   Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:59 pm GMT
i still don't understand...............
isn't irony always sarcastic (hurting)?
furrykef   Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:04 pm GMT
No, not necessarily. "Sarcasm" is often used to mean "verbal irony", but the reverse isn't necessarily true.
Guest   Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:17 pm GMT
The USA provides aids to poor countries so that citizens of those countries can live in prosperity yet it invades other countries, kill innocent people there and capture their natural resources. Isn't it irony? I think "irony" is a kind of surprize/shock that is shown to something that has both good and bad aspects.
Skippy   Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
"I heart him" literally means "I love him" but typically this wouldn't connotate actual "love" but more "I think he's a great guy" or something like that.
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 pm GMT
Give me one example of a country that the US has invaded where the people who live there weren't already getting killed either by one and other, or by some dictatorial regime? Also, when has the US ever "captured" another country's natural resources? If you are referring to oil in Iraq then you have no clue how oil is produced and distributed. Do you think the US just went into Iraq, stuck straws in the ground and started lugging the stuff back to the US? Most Iraqi oil goes to Europe anyway. If anything, the US was helping Europe get "cheap" oil.
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
<<Give me one example of a country that the US has invaded where the people who live there weren't already getting killed either by one and other, or by some dictatorial regime? Also, when has the US ever "captured" another country's natural resources? If you are referring to oil in Iraq then you have no clue how oil is produced and distributed. Do you think the US just went into Iraq, stuck straws in the ground and started lugging the stuff back to the US? Most Iraqi oil goes to Europe anyway. If anything, the US was helping Europe get "cheap" oil.>>

Ummmm, how ignorant are you? Two words. LATIN AMERICA.
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:13 pm GMT
Latin America is not a country - Boy, are you ignorant.
Another Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
@Guest,

You forgot the part about "where the people who live there weren't already getting killed either by one and other, or by some dictatorial regime" Latin Americans do a fine job of making a shambles of their own lives. The US is the best thing that's ever happened to them. Two words: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS