Welsh

Guest   Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:11 pm GMT
This is a question for native British English speakers. Sometimes when I am flicking thorugh the TV channels, I stop on the Welsh channel for a while, just out of interest to listen to it. Although I hardly understand any of it (unless they use an English word), I am always struck by the feeling that it is not a foreign language in the same way other languages are. Even though if I listened to a language such as French or Spanish, I would undertsand more, I still feel there is something more foreign about them. But with Welsh I almost feel that they are speaking a form of English, I just can't quite pick up on it. I know this is obviously not the case, and Welsh is in fact relatively far removed from English, so I wonder why it is. I suppose it is the fact that they are British and so other national trais such as certain gestures do remain the same. But I think there is also something about intonation as well, something about it does seem like English
Guest   Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
Probably because They speak Welsh with an English accent and intonation, but I have no clue.....
the same happens to me when I listen to Catalan. It reminds me of Spanish intonation and pronunciation. I know that Catalan and Spanish belong to the same group of languages but they have something familiar that, for instance, Spanish and Portuguese don't have
guest   Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
Also, the close proximity of the two languages with speakers going both ways over centuries would have undoubtedly created a Sprachraum effect.
Guest   Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:51 pm GMT
Perhaps they also "look" like your countrymen (one of us) to your mind. Perhaps the gestures and facial expressions look familiar.