I won't attend party,

Jelly   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:22 am GMT
since a) I hear it will be boring and b) I'm not feeling well and I took some medicine.

Can you use this construction? I've seen it before, but no in the most reputable of sources. If this can be used, is the punctuation correct? Maybe there should the comma should be replaced with something?
Guest   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 am GMT
It should be "I won't attend THE party".
Jelly   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:44 am GMT
Sorry, that's a typo.
Guest   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:56 am GMT
It seems that when this construction is used, people prefer to insert a comma between "boring" and "and," while only some use a colon after "since."
Skippy   Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 am GMT
I won't be attending the party because I hear it will be boring and I'm not feeling that well because of my medication.

That's what I would say... Actually, I'd leave out the boring part... That may be taken as being rather rude.
K. T.   Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:20 am GMT
I agree. Just say that you are not feeling well. I wouldn't even add the medication part unless you want to discuss that.
Jelly   Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:28 am GMT
Umm, I meant using the "a) and b)" construction... The sentence was just an example.
K. T.   Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:48 am GMT
Etiquette aside, lol:

Skippy's example was fine and sounds natural.

I would not say it as it was given in the OP.

Someone MIGHT say it as a way to give excuses, but there are too many "ands" in the example for my taste.
__________________________________________________________I will not attend the party since I hear it will be boring, I'm not feeling well and I took some medicine.

Reasons: Boring party, illness, medicine (may impair your driving, etc.)

Skippy's example gives a slightly different meaning.

Boring party, I don't feel well because of the medication I took.
Jelly   Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:07 am GMT
I don't mean to be rude, but I was asking about using a) b) c) in a sentence. Am I not conveying the message clear? I'm really sorry.
Guest   Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:45 am GMT
<<I don't mean to be rude, but I was asking about using a) b) c) in a sentence. Am I not conveying the message clear? I'm really sorry. >>

In writing, I'd probably phrase it:

I won't be attending the party because (a) I hear it will be boring, and (b) I'm not feeling well and I took some medicine.

-or-

I won't be attending the party since

a) I hear it will be boring, and
b) I'm not feeling well and I took some medicine.
Guest   Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:14 am GMT
Lol, taking some already given examples, you could probably say:

a) I won't be attending the party because I hear it will be boring.
/ I won't attend the party since I hear it will be boring.
/ I won't attend the party as I heard it will be boring.

b) I won't be attending the party because I'm not feeling that well.
/ I won't attend the party since I'm not feeling well.
Guest   Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
It sounds awkward to use "and" so many times.