How to pronounce "blue" correctly?

guest   Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
The only time I think I might hear an American use [y] would be in Californian-esque surfer talk pronunciation od "Dude!" where I sometime hear it as "Djywd" or thereabouts. I'm not an X-SAMPA user per se
guest   Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
that should be "of" not "od" sorry
Brian   Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
<<I loathe the "ough" combination of letters in English - they even look ugly, don't you think? Makes me quite blue just to think about them.....>>

I love it, as well as igh. I think the word "night" looks and sounds lovely.
Damian in Dun Eidann   Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:59 pm GMT
Guest: ***In Scotland, do you still sometimes hear the 'gh' pronounced as the 'ch' in loch?***

No. Assuming that you're familar with the correct Scottish pronunciation of the "CH" sound as in Loch (meaning a lake, of course.) It is virtually the same sound as the German in "achtung". Trying saying this before you reach for your throat capsules: "Yon wee village at the eastern end of Loch Rannoch is Kinloch Rannoch". Nae probs for us Scots, but we have to tolerate the English when they say "Lock Rannuck", but there you go.... The Welsh have no problems at all as they have exactly the same CH sound in Welsh.

The Taffs (the UK wide nickname for the Welsh) have one up on us though when it comes to their (in)famous LL sound, but personally I have no problems with that at all, and I can confidentally ask for directions to Llanuwchllyn and be perfectly understood by the locals thereabouts in Gwynedd, North Wales. Simply place the tip of your tongue nehind the front of your top teeth and blow! That wee village of Llanuwchllyn, at the western end of Lake Bala (or Llyn Bala as the Welsh call it, the word "llyn" being the Welsh for loch, or lake if you perefr).....contains both the CH and the LL sounds.

The DD sound in the name Gwynedd - exactly the same sound as the TH sound in the definite article in English - "the".

Quite a challenge for non Celtic learners.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/pronounce3.htm

The GH sound is pronounced similary to the Scottish "CH" in Ireland, at least in Northern Ireland. Glance at a map of the Province and you will see this large lake called Lough Neagh. "Lough" is pronounced exactly the same as the Scottish "Loch", but the Neagh is prounced simply as "Nay", in the more typically Gaelic Way, as in Scottish Gaelic.

My boyhood annual holiday haunt of Stornoway (Western isles) is spelt as Steornobhaigh in Gaelic, although the proninciations are virtually the same. The word Gaelic, incidentially, is pronounced as Gallic in Scotland.
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 pm GMT
To my Standard American ears, /blju/ sounds ridiculously high-class and stuffy- like a cartoon version of Queen Elizabeth :). Everyone I know says /blu/.
Hoefner   Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
Thank you all.
But can you tell me...just one more thing: the Beatles (including solo McCartney and Lennon) sound more like they are 'blju' than 'blu". Is it that something to do with Scouse?