"Versus" becoming a verb?

furrykef   Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
I have a pair of teenage cousins who live in Texas whom I visited recently, and I found that when playing video games, they often use "versus" as a verb, re-analyzing it as "verses". For example, "You wanna verse me in Smash Bros.?", or "I'm about to verse the boss." We had a couple of cousins from another branch in the family who were visiting as well, and they picked up on this usage immediately, even though I had condemned it from the first time I heard it. (I'm usually a descriptivist, but some things do still get on my nerves!) My Texan cousins always dismissed my condemnations with a "whatever".

I expect it'll be a long time before this becomes mainstream usage, if indeed it ever does, but I wonder if anybody else has heard things like this. And I do wonder if Merriam-Webster will have this as a meaning of "verse" in 2200...

- Kef
Lazar   Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:13 pm GMT
<<I have a pair of teenage cousins who live in Texas whom I visited recently, and I found that when playing video games, they often use "versus" as a verb, re-analyzing it as "verses". For example, "You wanna verse me in Smash Bros.?", or "I'm about to verse the boss.">>

I'm speechless.

Anyway, I'm familiar with a similar phenomenon: in my high school math classes, tons of kids (perhaps most of them) would reanalyze "times" as a verb, and they would say things like "Times it by three" instead of "Multiply it by three". I think I even had a couple teachers that did it. This usage never came naturally to me, and it always bugged the heck out of me.
Richard   Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 pm GMT
<<Anyway, I'm familiar with a similar phenomenon: in my high school math classes, tons of kids (perhaps most of them) would reanalyze "times" as a verb, and they would say things like "Times it by three" instead of "Multiply it by three". I think I even had a couple teachers that did it. This usage never came naturally to me, and it always bugged the heck out of me.>>

I've also heard "plus" and "minus" used in a similar way to mean "add" and "subtract".
Guest   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:23 pm GMT
All the kids where I live (California) use "verse" as a verb.
Skippy   Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
I have actually said this before, although I never made the connection with "versus." I figured it was similar to "school" as a verb: i.e. "I'm going to school you in tennis later."
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:14 am GMT
It's a bit different. "Verse" just means to face someone in a competition, while "school" means to beat them badly.
MollyB   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:49 am GMT
Go enjoy:

"Liverpool verse Arsenal on Valentines day, haha brilliant

You couldn't write a better script, I despise Arsenal almost as much as I hate Liverpool and they're both playing on Valentines Day night. Brilliant, they'll all want to watch the match considering it's a big game but their nagging g/fs / wives etc will be moaning like women generally do."

http://www.totalformat.com/forum/sport-fitness-discussion/58578-liverpool-verse-arsenal-valentines-day-haha-brilliant.html

How can you tell me Howard, who regularly rid the pine is in the top 5 of the EPL? That's ludicrous.

What does he have, 1 game verse Arsenal and everyone goes on about how great he is? Or are you going to tell me he's good because he has a low goals allowed average in a very low scoring defensive league...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-435775.html
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:34 pm GMT
My best friend throughout childhood used "verse" as a verb (mostly when playing video games.) I always thought it was just part of his idiolect; it's interesting to hear others report the same phenomenon. I grew up in California, BTW.
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:55 pm GMT
>>Anyway, I'm familiar with a similar phenomenon: in my high school math classes, tons of kids (perhaps most of them) would reanalyze "times" as a verb, and they would say things like "Times it by three" instead of "Multiply it by three"<<

This is normal in the UK, I would definitely say it. However I can see it could start to sound awkward in some constructions, namely the third person singular.

'If he timeses it by 4'. Hmmm, that sounds clumsy.
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
<<And I do wonder if Merriam-Webster will have this as a meaning of "verse" in 2200...>>

Based on the posts so far, it sounds like this usage is pretty common, so it behooves the dictionaries to include it long before 2200 (perhaps before 2010)?
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:04 am GMT
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=verse

2. verse

v. verse, versed, versing

to face off in a competitive two-player video game. The verb form of the word "versus," "vs." or "v."

I versed Michael in Street Fighter 2; needless to say, I won handily.
I can't, Mom, I'm busy versing Tom in Mario Golf at the moment!
Let's verse each other in Madden '05.
furrykef   Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:00 am GMT
I wouldn't ever take Urban Dictionary seriously. I only use it either for amusement or when I see an apparent slang term whose meaning I can't figure out.
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 am GMT
Still, it shows that this is already widespread. Merriam-Webster should include it far sooner than 2200.
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
All the kids where I live (North Carolina) use "verse" as a verb as well.