necessary for an english speaker to learn a foreign language

clumsydog   Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 am GMT
is it necessary for an english speaker to learn a foreign language??
discusee it
Guest   Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 am GMT
it depends on their situation. For an English speaker living in a country where English is the common language, there is little need to learn a foreign language, but for an English speaker in a country where English isn't spoken very much, it would probably be a good idea to learn the language of that country, although even then I don't think it would be absolutely necessary. People often get by not knowing the language of the country in which they live.
Guest   Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 am GMT
No, no English speaker in an English country learns a foreign language from NECESSITY! But they learn it for other reasons.
clumsydog   Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:25 am GMT
so you think this statement "It is unnecessary for an english speaker to learn a foreign language because english is a globle language"is right?
Guest   Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 am GMT
No. I think it's unnecessary for an English speaker to learn a foreign language, but I don't think it's because English is a global language. For instance, a Japanese person doesn't need to know anything but Japanese to live a normal life in Japan despite the fact that Japanese is not an international language.
Guest   Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 am GMT
Few people actually NEED to learn another language... anywhere! Maybe only in bilingual countries, however then it's not a FOREIGN language. It may limit work, but still there are plenty of good jobs that don't require the foreign languages.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 am GMT
In some areas of the United States like New Mexico, Miami or South Calfornia, it is almost a necessity to speak at least a basic Spanish.
JLK   Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
<<In some areas of the United States like New Mexico, Miami or South Calfornia, it is almost a necessity to speak at least a basic Spanish.>>

Sure, to talk to your landscaper and maid...I've lived in Miami and yes there a lot of Spanish speakers, but I never felt the need or desire to talk to them. Almost all of them are inconsequential/lower class people that simply don't mean much to me.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
Why was my message about the Cuban-Americans deleted?
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
Miami’s importance as an international financial and cultural center has elevated Miami to the status of world city. Because of Miami’s cultural and linguistic ties to North, South, and Central America, as well as the Caribbean, Miami is many times referred to as “The Gateway of the Americas”.

Florida’s large Spanish-speaking population and strong economic ties to Latin America also make Miami and the surrounding region an important financial center of the Hispanic world.

Miami is an international financial center thanks to the Hispanics. There, Spanish is official language and the first spoken language.

So, Miami is a good example.

Please, do not delete this post.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm GMT
This is a shame, moderators are clearly biased, but against Spanish and not German. One can openly say that all Spanish speakers in Miami are invariably uneducated,lower class and don't deserve to be talked to but I can't answer that falacy. This is what I said and was deleted: According to wikipedia Cuban Americans made Miami a modern city and US-born Cubans Americans earn more money and higher education level than the non Hispanic whites. What is the reason of so much censure?
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:03 pm GMT
and have