need/want/like + past participle

Brian   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am GMT
I know this would be considered incorrect in "standard" English, but virtually everybody where I live (western Pennsylvania) says it.

For instance:
The dishes need washed. vs The dishes need washing/to be washed.
The baby wants held. vs The baby wants to be held.

This is the only way that I have ever said it and I never even realized that it was considered non-standard. To me, "The dishes need washing" sounds very strange.

My question: To which regions has this construction spread? Where else do people use it? Is it used outside of North America? I'm certain that it's not limited to this area only.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:57 am GMT
I don't hear it here in eastern NY state. It always sounds strange to me. Maybe it's spread farther to the west, north, or south?

Sounds like a handy and concise construction though -- maybe it's destined to spread worldwide over the upcoming decades.

Another construction we desperately need is something like "I will can go ..." instead of I will be able to go ..."?
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
I hear this construction sometimes, and I live in the SouthEast US, but it is more commonly heard (by me) in the mountains (Appalachians), which makes sense if you're from Western Pa.

To me, I wouldn't call it incorrect, because I immediately know what you're saying. Just non-standard.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:01 am GMT
I think it comes from Scottish English. I live in the South of the UK and would say 'The dishes need washing', but I remember a Scottish friend saying things like 'Do they need ironed?'
Brian   Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:25 am GMT
"The dog wants out."

Is it also common in other areas to say something like this? Is this standard and universal, or is it regional?
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:44 am GMT
<<"The dog wants out.">>

Sounds OK to me (from Eastern NY, again).
guest   Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
<<"The dog wants out."
>>

Fine to me.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 am GMT
Why as long as English evolves it becomes more and more illogical?