asking what's the difference / what the difference is

Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:09 pm GMT
Hi, I always have trouble with this:

It's like asking what's the difference between the sun and the moon.
It's like asking what the difference is between the sun and the moon.
It's like asking what the difference between the sun and the moon is.

Could someone comment on them? Thanks.
Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm GMT
Both three seem to be correct to me.
guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 pm GMT
<<Both three seem to be correct to me. >>

Lol, "Both three"?

Yes, all three are correct. You have flexibility here in which you prefer to use. Isn't English great!
Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:40 pm GMT
Yes, English is somewhat flexible, but since it has a more rigid word order compared to my native tongue I tend to use prefixed patters so I can avoid mistakes despite I could play a little more with word order without speaking incorrectly. For example, in this case it's not a question really so I would use Subject+Verb+ Complements, hence: What the difference is between ...
DJ   Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:19 am GMT
No: the 1st one is incorrect, unless you put quotation marks around the "what's the difference" to show it is a quotation rather than an indirect question. The failure to construct indirect questions correctly is a glaring sign of an intermediate learner (or someone who watches Beavis and Butthead all day).
Guest   Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 pm GMT
It's like

Where is he? but
Where's he at? (in dialects that use it)

Where's he? sound strange.
furrykef   Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:04 am GMT
<< The failure to construct indirect questions correctly is a glaring sign of an intermediate learner >>

Actually, all three sound like something a native speaker would reasonably say. I do think that the first one is colloquial at best, but it is common.

I prefer the third one, myself. I think "between X and Y" should go with the word it is modifying, which is "difference".

- Kef
Guest   Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 am GMT
Wow, the thrid option places the verb at the end, I wouldn't remember the verb after so many words.
Lo   Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:27 am GMT
They're all correct but, actually, the third one sounds a bit pompous to me, I would never say that unless it was a formal situation.
The second one I somehow can't picture myself saying it, dunno why.
I would definitely say the first one, no doubt about it.
DX   Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
The 1st one is actually grammatically incorrect, but may be heard. It depends if you want to copy grammatically incorrect English as used in the wild or not.