British accent on CNN?

Student   Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 am GMT
I noticed there are a lot of news people on CNN speaking with the British accent.
Is it a posh thing now or what? :)
The dirty Queen   Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 am GMT
No, it's proper English.
meez   Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:04 am GMT
It's only on CNN Europe I think.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:41 am GMT
I'm not too sure how CNN operates globally, but I know that CNN Europe exists, so I would agree with the last contributor that the British accent is more likely to be heard there than elsewhere in the world. I may be wrong of course, but there you go.

I wouldn't think for one moment that a British accent would be used by the presenters/newscasters broadcasting to the USA American domestic market, any more than an American accent would be heard in a similar capacity on any of the domestic broadcasting channels in the United Kingdom. I don't think either situation would go down too well with the punters on either side of the puddle.
Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 pm GMT
<<I wouldn't think for one moment that a British accent would be used by the presenters/newscasters broadcasting to the USA American domestic market, any more than an American accent would be heard in a similar capacity on any of the domestic broadcasting channels in the United Kingdom. I don't think either situation would go down too well with the punters on either side of the puddle. >>

There was a financial reporter on one of the US cable networks a while back that had a some sort of UK accent.
Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
Americans (at CNN) seem to like Richard Quest though; maybe he does sound posh or something to them, whadaya think?
Milton   Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
I like CNN India ;)
Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm GMT
I'd like to watch CNN Jamaica ;D
guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm GMT
I do think that if it comes down between two prospective newscasters vying for a position, that one having a UK or Aussie accent will be hired instead (here in the US).

I don't necessarily favor that (it's all the same to me), and it makes me think less of the Network when it's blatantly obvious that the 'accent' got them the job, but I usually get over it quickly, especially if the newscaster is good. Most, if not all, have been.
dorisbonkers   Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
British accent is posh? British?
What part of Britain are we talking about here, Yorkshire, Wales, Scotland, London, Devon? All different accents.. there is no such thing as a British accent ;) it's like saying a European accent... if you mean RP English on the other hand...
Guest   Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
I was taught Oxford variety in school. Or so did teacher say. Indeed.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
I SO SO SO wish that there was a North American (USA and Canada - might as well goup them together, why not?) equivalent of the excellent BBC Regional accents website featuring audio links to every conceivable accent (and even indigenous Languages) found throughout the British Isles.

Just to hear local people chatting together casually in locations in variousAmerican/CanadianStates/Provinces/regions/districts/cities/town/villages.... whatever... as in the BBC site, would be so interesting, and it would help us over here on this side of the Atlantic to dispel the impression we have that all Americans and Canadians sound the same.
Uriel   Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
No, I've heard UK accents on CNN, but they are usually doing special reports, such as financial or location reports, rather than being the main anchors.

Hmm, can't say that I know of a site offhand that features various regional NA accents just chatting, but that would be interesting....you usually have to watch a lot of movies and TV to catch various local accents -- indie flicks or local radio are your best bet. So, you would probably be SOL in the UK....