American English - different language?

Uriel   Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 am GMT
<<Uriel - first and foremost, it's NOT whiskey - it's whisky!!! This is Scotland and we only sup Scotch! - whisky with a "y" is either Irish, or your own JD or Southern bourbon!>>

(Giggle) Nope, can't bring myself to spell it without the E....

<<Whisky in hot water not appetiSing? I'd like to bet my next month's salary payment ten times over that if you ever found yourself trapped in a raging snow blizzard in the Cairngorms (a range of mountains in the Scottish Highlands) in a sub zero whiteout and a blinding northerly Force 8 and a couple of rugged Highland rangers or constables of the Northern Constabulary came to your rescue and offered you a toddy (whisky and hot water) you would think it was the nectar of the Gods, the tastiest and most sublime liquid ever to pass between your sweet lips..... >>

Hey, St. Bernards aren't my favOrite breed of dog, but if one of them dug me out of the avalanche I was slowly freezing to death in, I might be tempted to go out and buy a whole litter of the fuzzy critters! :)
Guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 am GMT
Aidan McLaren

“Technically the West Country dialect shares a lot (of) similarities with American English, no?”

West Country shares a lot of similarities with SOUTHERN American English

Aidan McLaren:

“So the first settlers to America were from all around England?”

Josh Lalonde:

“The(y) were from the South, mostly East Anglia and the Home Counties, if I'm not mistaken.”

Yes you would be mistaken. Only “New England” was originally populated by the puritans from these areas of England. Their descendants are called yankees (damned-yankees or carpet baggers if they have migrated to the South). The “tidewater” South (especially in Virginia was settled primarily by those from South-western England. The “upland” South and much of the lower mid-west was settled primarily by the “Scots-Irish” (Ulster Scots) along with Scots, Welsh and Irish