Last native speaker of Eyak, once spoken in Alaska, dies

Adam   Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:33 pm GMT
Last Native Eyak Speaker Dead at 89

Wednesday January 23, 2008
By MARY PEMBERTON
Associated Press Writer

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Marie Smith Jones, the last full-blooded Eyak and fluent speaker of her native language, has died. She was 89.

Jones died peacefully in her sleep Monday at her home in Anchorage. She was found by a friend, said daughter Bernice Galloway, who lives in Albuquerque, N.M.

``To the best of our knowledge she was the last full-blooded Eyak alive,'' Galloway said Tuesday.

Jones also was the last person alive who was fluent in Eyak, a branch of the Athabaskan Indian family of languages, said Michael Krauss, a linguist and professor emeritus at the University of Alaska Fairbanks who collaborated with Jones for years in an effort to preserve the Eyak language.

``With her death, the Eyak language becomes extinct,'' Krauss said.

Jones was honorary chief of the Eyak Nation. The Eyak ancestral homeland runs along 300 miles of the Gulf of Alaska from Prince William Sound, near the fishing village of Cordova, eastward across the Copper River Delta to the town of Yakutat. By the 21st century, only about 50 Eyaks remained, according to the university's Alaska Native Language Center, which Krauss directs.

Jones was a survivor from the start, her daughter said. Many of her siblings died young when smallpox and influenza tore through the Eyak Nation of south-central Alaska, ``wiping out just about everyone but her family,'' Galloway said.

``She was a woman who faced incredible adversity in her life and overcame it,'' Galloway said. ``She was about as tenacious as you can get.''

Jones was born in Cordova on May 14, 1918, and grew up on Eyak Lake, where her family had a homestead. She married Oregon fisherman William F. Smith on May 5, 1948. He worked his way up the coast and put down roots in Alaska when he reached Cordova and met her mother, Galloway said.

The couple had nine children, seven of whom are still alive. None of them learned Eyak because they grew up at a time when it was considered wrong to speak anything but English, Galloway said.

Jones moved to Anchorage in the early 1970s to be closer to her children. She struggled with alcoholism until she was in her early 50s, and quit drinking, Galloway said.

Jones twice spoke at the United Nations on peace and the importance of indigenous languages, Galloway said. She also became active in environmental issues.

``There was a transformation of our mother into a very pro-active, politically active individual,'' Galloway said.

Krauss described Jones as a ``wonderfully ordinary Eyak lady who lived to a ripe old age not because of an easy life but because of a rather hard life, coming up and surviving as an Eyak in the 20th century.''

For the last 15 years, Krauss said, Jones was the last of her kind.

``That was a tragic mantle that she bore with great dignity, grace and spirit,'' he said.

With Jones' help, Krauss compiled an Eyak dictionary and grammar. Jones, her sister and a cousin told him Eyak tales that were made into a book.

She wanted a written record of the language so future generations would have the chance to resurrect it, Krauss said.

Nearly 20 native Alaskan languages are at risk of becoming extinct, he said.

``This is the beginning of the end unless we do something,'' Krauss said. ``Alaska Native languages are the intellectual heritage of this part of the world. It is unique to us and if we lose them we lose what is unique to Alaska.''

guardian.co.uk
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:26 am GMT
I wonder how complex (morphologically) Eyak is (was)? Was it polysynthetic, and almost impossible to learn?
Milton   Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:12 am GMT
that's too bad
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:40 pm GMT
So sad.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:25 pm GMT
I think it's good. Too many languages make people unable to communicate to each other.
guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm GMT
sorry to hear that
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
any extintion is not good. Globalization brings good and bad things. But the problem is : Can we do anything to stop this from happening? . I think this is the key: None of them learned Eyak because they grew up at a time when it was considered wrong to speak anything but English.
Eyak and English should have been supported. This is the only way to go: Defend macro- and micro- culture in the same way.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 pm GMT
Too many languages make people unable to communicate to each other

I don't want to communicate to you 'cause you have no heart.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:07 pm GMT
What heart are you talking about?
If I speak Eyak and english i think i can communicate to you in English.
or am i wrong?
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:12 pm GMT
There is too much sentimentalism about endangered languages. Back in ancient times Latin displaced hundreds of native languages (more or less like English today) and that was not a catastrophe at all , on the contrary, native people embraced a superior language like Latin very happily. If you look at History you can see one thing: as long as Humanity improves, the number of different languages decreases in favour of a few linguae fracae which end up being the new mother tongues of those who once spoke multiple, different languages. The endangered languages thing is only a leftist business to prevent globalization.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm GMT
Then, wouldn't you mind to lose 'English' in favor of a better(more effective) language like 'Esperanto' which people can learn more easily?
According to you , this would be the last stage and the utmost improvement for the Humanity.
I hope i don't see this with my native language.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:01 pm GMT
<<native people embraced a superior language like Latin very happily<<

Yeah, right. Can't you read? Eyak nation embraced superior English happily. Ha!
What a rightist prick you are.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
Rest in peace.
guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 pm GMT
<<native people embraced a superior language like Latin very happily>>

There's no such thing as language superiority. What an ignorant comment, especially on a forum such as this one.

Only cultures can be thought of as being superior/inferior to one another.
Guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:39 pm GMT
<<Only cultures can be thought of as being superior/inferior to one another. >>

Why can a culture be superior to another one and a language can't?

Yours is a contradiction.