Dutch orthography

Guest   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 am GMT
<< Dutch sounds & seems much worse & awkward than either English or German, in terms of pronunciation & spelling. >>

No. In fact Dutch is considered by the linguists with the most consistent and logical spelling among the world's languages.
JLK   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:33 am GMT
Just to let you guys now, neither of the two posts above are mine. I'm very fond of Dutch. It's a lovely language spoken by a lovely nation and people.
People should be slow to mock the language. It plays a very important role linguistically as English's closest cousin. One can not fully understand the Germanic family without learning Dutch.
guest   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:35 am GMT
<<Something that other languages lack. >>

oh I sEE.
yeah, cOOl!
JLK   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:36 am GMT
Why don't you use your nickname to revive threads? Since you cheat us , I will usurp your nickname from now on.
L'italofilo   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 am GMT
Actually Dutch always plays a much less important role than English & German, in many respects such as on economy, science, commerce, literature, & int'l conference. Dutch really sounds worse even than German, and seems weirdly on the spelling method of consecutive vowels, no matter whether it's constant/logical or not.
Xie   Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:37 am GMT
This thread has gone bad.

Orthography sometimes doesn't matter much. French may be difficult to decode, but is good looking. For me, Dutch is like Finnish, and people often "slur" a lot, as if everything, consonant or vowel, is swallowed. I'm not terribly into speaking like this, but it's just yet another way of speaking a human tongue. If Mandarin shall be French Chinese, Cantonese shall be German Chinese. Some are spoken really fast with loads of consonants, some are clearly with loads of stop consonants (German and Cantonese), some are slurred but clearly (French, Dutch, Mandarin), etc...