language of 20th century?

huesped   Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 am GMT
If you read...

It seems like you ignored the point of my post of French and then immediately attacked Spanish. Strange.
mac   Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 am GMT
<< How can Chinese be important when the Chinese themselves learn English, and to a lesser degree French, German, and Russian because they admit that their language is not that attractive to be studied by other people especially westerners? The same case applies to Spanish. >>

Chinese and Spanish is not a good comparison. They are two differnent situations.

<< In 2050, all the Spanish speaking people will remain in the 3rd world because of the culture of corruption and technologically backward so the chances of Spanish to be studied is so remote. >>

The big Latin American countries are growing and improving (although many problems still exist). But they'll be better off than Francophone Africa. Also, South America is in the process of creating a Union like the EU.

Remote you say? if Spanish is in such a bad situation, then why is it among the most studied foreign languages NOW? It's big in the US, is popular in Brazil, and has gained popularity in Europe (is 4th after Eng, Ger, Fr) as well as in other Countries.

From my personal experience in Spain and Mexico, I've met many students of Spanish from countries like the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Canada, and even Japan.

And it's not all about science and technology. If that were true, then German and Japanese would be much more popular. Many people are attracted to Spanish simply because: It is spoken in many countries and is very important in the Americas, it sounds nice, and it is a very logical/phonetic language.

Nothing against French. I just don't like unfounded Spanish bashing.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:21 pm GMT
<<How can Spanish be influential when it has weak foundation in science, technology, literature and arts? >>
it's incredible this line of argument again and again.
People only from spain in
arts:
Painters: Velazquez,Goya,Dali,Picasso,Murillo,Greco,zurbaran ...
Architects: Juan de Herrera,Gaudi,Santiago Calatrava,Alonso Berruguete,Churriguera ,etc
Literature: Cervanates,Quevedo,Lope de Vega,Garcilaso,Calderon,Zorrilla,Garcia Lorca,Juan Ramon Jimenez,Machado, Cela,etc.
Only one of them could make a great legacy for humanity as long as you understand spanish because i suppose that if these works are not translated to english you're not going to bother reading them.

science, technology:
Algafequi, ophthalmologist, Spanish word gafas (glasses) was created after him.
José María Algué (1856–1930), meteorologist, inventor of the barocyclometer, the nephoscope, and the microseismograph.
Ignacio Barraquer (1884-1965), leading ophthalmologist, pioneer of Nicolás Cabrera (1913–1989), physicist, did important work on the theories of crystal growth and the oxidisation of metals.
Juan de la Cierva (1895–1936), aeronautical engineer, pioneer of rotary flight, inventor of the autogyro.
Fausto de Elhúyar (1755–1833), chemist, joint discoverer of tungsten with his brother Juan José de Elhúyar in 1783.
Carlos Fernández Casado (1905–1988), civil engineer, designer and builder of bridges and viaducts.
Jaime Ferrán (1852–1929), doctor and researcher, discovered several vaccines.
Manuel Jalón Corominas (born 1925), inventor of the mop (1956) and a world-wide used "two-piece" disposable syringe (1978).
Carlos Jiménez Díaz (1898–1967), doctor and researcher, leading figure in pathology
Gregorio Marañón (1887–1960), doctor and researcher, leading figure in endocrinology
Narcís Monturiol (1818–1885), physicist and inventor, pioneer of underwater navigation and first machine powered submarine.
José Celestino Bruno Mutis (1732–1808), botanicist, doctor, philosopher and mathematician, carried out relevant research about the American flora, founded one of the first astronomic observatories in America (1762).
Severo Ochoa (1905–1993), doctor and biochemist, achieved the synthesis of ribonucleic acid (RNA), Nobel prize Laureate (1959).
Mateu Orfila (1787–1853), doctor and chemist, father of modern toxicology, leading figure in forensic toxicology.
Joan Oró (1923–2004), biochemist, carried out important research about the origin of life, he worked with NASA on the Viking missions.
Isaac Peral (1851–1895), engineer and sailor, designer of the first fully operative military submarine.
Santiago Ramón y Cajal (1852–1934), father of Neuroscience, Nobel prize Laureate (1906).
Julio Rey Pastor (1888–1962), mathematician, leading figure in geometry.
Andrés Manuel del Río (1764–1849), geologist and chemist, discovered vanadium (as vanadinite) in 1801.
Pío del Río Hortega (1882–1945), neuroscientist, discoverer of the microglia or Hortega cell.
Félix Rodríguez de la Fuente (1928–1980), naturalist, leading figure in ornithology, ethology, ecology and science divulgation
Miguel Servet (1511–1553), scientist, surgeon and humanist; first European to describe pulmonary circulation.
Leonardo Torres Quevedo (1852–1936), engineer and mathematician, pioneer of automated calculation machines, inventor of the automatic chess, pioneer of remote control, designer of the funicular over the Niagara Falls.
Josep Trueta (1897–1977), doctor, his new method for treatment of open wounds and fractures helped save a great number of lives during WW2.
Antonio de Ulloa (1716–1795), scientist, soldier and author; joint discoverer of element platinum with Jorge Juan y Santacilia (1713–1773).
Arnold of Villanova (c. 1235 – 1311), alchemist and physician, he discovered carbon monoxide and pure alcohol.

TORRES QUEVEDO
Radio Control: the Telekino.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Torres_Quevedo
Who would USA lauch their missiles without this guy.
RAMON VERA:
"A Galician invented the calculator". His machine is held in IBM headquaters. It multiples and divides automatically.The machine won a gold medal at a Cuban exhibition. Scientific American included an article about it. But then the sands closed over it. Verea never tried to market it. He just walked away and never invented anything else.
This brilliant machine was only an object lesson. He tossed off a brilliant invention -- one machine that perfectly anticipated the next step toward digital computers.
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1297.htm

Spain philanthropy :
En el nombre de los Niños. Real expedición Filantrópica de la Vacuna 1803-1806
Balmis expedition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmis_Expedition
The discoverer of the vaccine Edward Jenner himself wrote "I don’t imagine the annals of history furnish an example of philanthropy so noble, so extensive as this.”
Malaespina Expediton:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Malaspina

I have more surprises, if you want, to tell you about other great spaniards but i think for now it's enough.
go to home please   Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:44 pm GMT
<<In 2050, all the Spanish speaking people will remain in the 3rd world because of the culture of corruption and technologically backward so the chances of Spanish to be studied is so remote.>>

For Latin America and the Caribbean,2006 has been another good year for economic growth. The regional gross domestic product(GDP) is expected to increase 5.3% over the year, equivalent to a per capita increase of3.8%. This marks the fourth consecutive year of economic growth, and the third consecutiveyear of rates exceeding 4%, after an average annual growth rate of only 2.2% between 1980and 2002. Growth continues to fall short of other developing regions, however.

Economic expansion is expected to slow slightly in 2007, with the regionalGDP growth rate projected to reach approximately 4.7%. This would put the increase in theregion's per capita cumulative output at nearly 15% (or 2.8% per year) over the2003-2007 period.

These are the latest figures presented by ECLAC in its PreliminaryOverview of the Economies of Latin America and the Caribbean 2006, releasedtoday by José Luis Machinea, Executive Secretary of the UN regionalcommission. According to the report, the favourable international environment allowed theregion as a whole to achieve an increase of 8.4% in the volume of its exports, whichtranslated into a terms-of-trade improvement of more than 7% over the previous year forits leading commodities.

For 2006, for the region as a whole, growth in national income (GNP)exceeded GDP growth by almost two percentage points, reaching 7.2%. This was broadlyattributable to improved terms-of-trade and increased remittances from abroad. Inaddition, other factors - including growing investor and consumer confidence, relativelylow real interest rates, higher public spending, an increase in total income accruing tolabour (driven by rising employment and a modest upturn in real wages) -- helped turndomestic demand, which rose by 7.0%, into an engine for growth.

Public spending rose as a result of a higher level of investment inphysical and social infrastructure. Nevertheless, since fiscal revenues increased evenmore steeply, the prevailing picture shows central governments with higher primarysurpluses (up from 1.7% to 2.1% of GDP, on average) and narrower overall deficits (from1.1% to 0.3% of GDP).

In most countries, inflation decreased (in weighted terms) from 6.1% in2005 to 4.8% in 2006. Many countries faced downward pressure on exchange rates because oflarge inflows of foreign currency from stronger export prices or remittances, and tookmeasures to contain the impact. But, overall, most local currencies appreciated slightly(3.5% on average).

In the area of employment, ECLAC's PreliminaryOverview 2006 indicates that economic growth fuelled job creation throughoutthe region. The rate of open unemployment continued the downward trend begun in 2004,albeit more slowly (dropping 0.4 percentage points), taking the rate to 8.7%. Real wagesalso benefited from increased demand for labour, and rose by an average of 3%.

The value of the region's merchandise exports and imports rose by 21%and 20%, respectively. As a result, the balance-of-payments current account surplusincreased from 1.5% of GDP in 2005 to 1.8% in 2006.

Another distinctive trait of the region's current period of growth isits lessened vulnerability to the possibility of external shocks, the ECLACreport states. This is due to the adoption by many countries of more flexible exchangerates, lower foreign debt burdens and the building-up of international reserves.

http://www.eclac.org/cgi-bin/getProd.asp?xml=/prensa/noticias/comunicados/0/27580/P27580.xml&xsl=/prensa/tpl-i/p6f.xsl&base=/tpl-i/top-bottom.xsl

In 2050, YOUR COUNTRY WILL BE THE POOREST IN THE WORLD AND YOUR CHILDRENS WILL EMIGRATE TO LATIN AMERICA !!!!
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm GMT
<< It's not true that Spanish is no spoken in Africa. Everywhere in the North African coast you can find people who speak Spanish, even in Egypt. >>

It's not true that French is not spoken in Hispanic Africa. Everywhere in the Hispanic America you can find people who speak French, even in Colombia.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:03 pm GMT
<< In 2050, YOUR COUNTRY WILL BE THE POOREST IN THE WORLD AND YOUR CHILDRENS WILL EMIGRATE TO LATIN AMERICA !!!! >>

In 2050, YOUR COUNTRY WILL BE THE POOREST IN THE WORLD AND YOUR CHILDRENS WILL EMIGRATE TO FRANCOPHONE AFRICA !!!!
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:04 pm GMT
Spain is close to North Africa, so it's normal to find people who speak Spanish. But yes, it's normal that in Hispanic America there are people who speak French as well and I bet that they speak it better than those African countries which are francophone in theory.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
Argentina and Chile used to receive French migrants in the past. For example the famous Chilean politician Augusto Pinochet has French ancestry, but as far as I know the Francophone African countries never were had migrants, only native population and considering their negative economic growth I think that they never will.
Guesty   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:17 pm GMT
I think the pro-Spanish side has clearly defended itself in this micro-debate.
Bright Oduri-nimo Accra   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
<< OMAR FROM SENEGAL !!!!

My case is special because I live in a French-speaking country but I HATE French. This is why I spend most of my time learning English. I notice that everything around me is English - the American films, the Internet, etc. I think the French and the Germans are JEALOUS, but they can't stop the influence of English in Europe because the USA dominate the world by their language - English.

Omar, Dakar, Senegal >>

<< I am in an area of the world where English is a second language due to our colonial heritage. However people here in Ghana do not see the all-conquering nature of English. Instead SPANISH which A minority of Ghanaians SPEAK AS A THIRD LANGUAGE HAS GAINED THE STATUS AS AN INTELLECTUAL LANGUAGE. I must say that the SPANISH FRENZY WILL CATCH ON AS TIME GOES ON, but English being our second language gives us a big advantage when it comes to international commerce, entertainment and the internet. >>

I believe you so much. I believe that these 2 messages are written by the same hispanic fanatic anti-french person known as Sam, Franco, Adolfo, Invitado etc.

POLICE TRAINING IN GHANA TO INCLUDE FRENCH LANGUAGE

President Kufuor said the Government was paying particular attention to the Police Service because its important role made it a unique institution in modern democracies and the natural and indispensable agency of any government,which was, committed to the rule of law as enshrined in the country's constitution.
President John Agyekum Kufuor on Friday announced that French language would be taught at Police Training Colleges in view of the increasing co-operation between the Ghana Police Service and sister institutions in the West Africa Sub-Region. "Our police personnel now need more than a working knowledge of the French language to be effective in sub-regional operations," President Kufuor said when he addressed the passing out parade for 77 Police Cadet Officers at the Ghana Police College in Accra.The Cadets, made up of 66 men and 10 women, had undergone six months of training. He said the Government's aim was to modernise the Service to raise the professional standards of personnel through training to enable Policemen and Policewomen to hold their own as far as modern day policing was concerned. President Kufuor presented the Sword of Honour to Cadet Officer Firmin Azitariga who was adjudged the overall best Cadet. GNA

http://www.voiceofafricaradio.com/newsdetails.php?id=98
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
<<Argentina and Chile used to receive French migrants in the past. For example the famous Chilean politician Augusto Pinochet has French ancestry, but as far as I know the Francophone African countries never had migrants, only native population and considering their negative economic growth I think that they never will. >>

Pinochet is dead now.
Juan Joose   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
I'm from Colombia and I love Portuguese more than I love Spanish.

In fact I'm so delighted to read this from Wikipedia.

The cultural influence of Brazilian Portuguese in the rest of the Portuguese-speaking world has greatly increased in the last decades of the 20th century, due to the popularity of Brazilian music and Brazilian soap operas. Since Brazil joined Mercosul, the South American free trade zone, Portuguese has been increasingly studied as a second language in Spanish-speaking partner countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese

Viva o Portugues que mais melhor que o espanhol!
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
<< Pinochet is dead now. >>

Rest in peace.
NiHao HispanicAmerica   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
China says "ni hao" to copper-rich Chile
RELATED ARTICLES

By Pav Jordan

VINA DEL MAR, Chile (Reuters) - Xiao Qiong, 28, stares intently at a group of Chilean teenagers, smiles and says with conviction: "Ni hao!"

The disheveled boys and girls in front of her post exaggerated grins and reply in raucous but near-perfect unison, "Ni hao," Mandarin for "hello."

The Beijing native, petite by comparison with many of her students, is the advance guard in China's patient push for access to South America's mineral resources.

The Mandarin classes were written into a free trade accord signed between Chile and China in 2006. While China has its eye on Chilean copper, for Chile the accord is a chance to become Latin America's gateway to the Asia-Pacific region.

Luna (Moon), as she calls herself in Spanish, uses song, dance and romantic tales of Chinese youth to help motivate her students at the Liceo Jose Vergara, a rough-edged public school in the shanty-clad cliffs that fringe the wealthy Pacific resort of Vina del March.

"Chilean children are very free, but very lovely and very friendly," Luna, said outside the school.

EMERGING SUPERPOWER

China has been gaining an economic foothold in Latin America for about a decade, as the United States focused on other areas, establishing cultural and commercial ties in countries that supply the commodities it needs to maintain growth.

Just as it has on the African continent, China is maneuvering in Latin America to secure the raw materials it needs to build roadways, railways and even cities.

Its top trade partners in Latin America are Brazil, Argentina and Chile, major suppliers of grains and metals.

"It has managed to expand its diplomatic presence very dramatically at a time when the U.S. diplomatic presence is being reduced," said Riordan Roett, director of Latin American studies at Johns Hopkins University in Washington.

It's no surprise that China is working hard on its relationship with Chile, the world's biggest source of copper, which is used in everything from electrical wiring, plumbing, heating, air conditioning and roofing.

"They have certainly been laying the groundwork for a long-term relationship," said Alberto Canas, who overseas trade with China for the Chilean government.

FIRST IN REGION

Chile was the first country in the region to support China's entry into the World Trade Organization and the only one with a trade agreement with China.

China is poised to either match or outpace the United States as Chile's top trade partner in 2007, with around $15 billion in trade, compared with $8.5 billion last year. Chile-U.S. trade last year was worth $14.5 billion.

Analysts say China is also courting Latin America as part of its growing emphasis on so-called "south-south" diplomacy with the Group of 20 developing nations.

The students at Liceo Jose Francisco Vergara are looking to their own future.

"Getting to China is a dream I have, because that is where everything I want to learn is," said Christian Altamirano, 14, a robotics buff in a frayed T-shirt who is one of Luna's star pupils.

"I would like to go there and learn their culture, their language, and meet the people and exchange ideas and then bring that knowledge back here," he said.

Ricardo Camus, 17, another of Luna's students, sees the Mandarin program as his ticket to a more prosperous future and expects to get work as a translator as trade builds with China.

"I see my future rising before me and I want to bet on it."

The Mandarin program is still small, with about 60 students in three public schools, but education officials say they want to expand it quickly, adding at least three more schools in March.

At least 20 Chilean universities are already offering Mandarin courses, as are many private language schools.

PANAMA is taking similar steps and hopes to implement a Mandarin program in public schools next year. VENEZUELA and China expect to pen an official language exchange program in 2008.

"The world is opening up to China and we have to accept the invitation to join them," said Magali Rozas, the principal of another school where Mandarin is taught. Outside her school, in the port city of Valparaiso, cranes load goods onto ships headed for China.

(Additional reporting by Elida Moreno in Panama City and Patricia Rondon in Caracas; Editing by Eddie Evans)

CHINESE LANGUAGE IS TAKING OVER HISPANIC AMERICA!!!!
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:45 pm GMT
Ghana: Gimpa to Train Public Servants in French Language

Ghanaian Chronicle (Accra)
14 November 2007
Posted to the web 14 November 2007

Chris Twum

The government has commissioned an ultra-modern French language laboratory at the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) to train public servants to enable them communicate effectively with their Francophone counterparts.

However, the edifice, which has two main lecture halls, would be offering 750-hour learning programmes for both beginners and those who would want to sharpen their skills in the language.

Mr. Samuel Owusu-Agyei, Minister of Public Sector Reforms, who commissioned the edifice on Monday noted that the language centre was in fulfilment of an agreement between the government of Ghana and the French government signed in December 2006. According to the minister two lecturers who went for a one-month intensive training in France have been employed by GIMPA to handle the courses at the centre.

"The centre would help public servants have good command of the French language and enable them participate actively in various activities with sister francophone countries", he added.

The French government he said, had made available scholarship packages to Ghanaian public servants and urged them to take learning of the language seriously.

Mr. Owusu-Agyei, challenge all public servants, who would come to the laboratory at GIMPA, to study seriously and also achieve an appreciable skill level, which would make communication with their colleagues in neighbouring francophone countries much easier.

The French Ambassador, Mr. Pierre Jacquemot, lauded the cooperation the two countries had enjoyed over the past decade and said the facility was to improve the relationship through the study of the language.

He observed that the French were partnering Ghana in many areas to ensure the holistic development of the country.

Dr. Stephen Adei, Rector of GIMPA said the institute acknowledged the importance of imparting French language skills to public servants and therefore thanked the French government for the Laboratory.

He said the laboratory would have a well-structured programme by February next year to train 300 civil servants as beginners and 150 in advanced French.

Mr. Joe Issachar, Head of the Civil Service, said since francophone countries surrounded Ghana, it was vital that the study of the language was encouraged to enhance effective communication.

He said there would be special training programmes in the language for security personnel as well especially those stationed at the country's borders to make communication easy for them.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711140953.html