awkward moments

Guest   Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 am GMT
I really hate to be in awkward situations..
Today I met someone for the first time and he said "Nice to meet you." So I said "Okay". And then there was a long pause. :( I knew I should've said "Nice to meet you too" but I guess I was too scared? I don't know.
Then he asked me what my favorite movies are.. So I said what movie I liked and then I asked "What about you?" and he responded to this.
And then there was another long pause........................................

These kinds of situations are repeated over and over again 90% of the times during my conversations with others. :( and this makes it really hard for me to make friends with others.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest   Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:38 am GMT
The same thing happens to me. :(
Guest   Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 am GMT
My friend said "I love my boyfriend", I said "I love him too", when in truth I meant to say "I love mine too", for I am a virtuous damsel and a thought of such base proportions couldst not under even the most bizarre and extenuating circumstances force its way through this fortress of modesty constructed around my soul, encasing it in all its entirety, not leaving a single chink through which treachery couldst sneak and redound to my detriment, for such is the sacrifice granted me by those who sacrificed their worthy lives and liberties for my benefit. And, thus, I should imagine, if it is not that my mind hast deteriorated into a unbecoming pulp of pollen, for the possibility of such is not to be underestimated when one findeth oneself under the selfish influence of sloth and inertia, it ought not serve as a catalyst to your mystification that I find myself indebted to the sophisticated art of dentistry and those most noble souls who to this lofty practice their lives have dedicated, for it is entirely true that one such generous practitioner hast done me a great boon in repairing the vacant gaps which thankfully for only a fleeting time, a time saturated with absolute distress and disconsolation, were left offering a window into the abyss of this my most ungraceful and cavernous mouth, a window unwelcome in the highest degree by those spirits who dwell within.

Perhaps my interlocutor acted with overzealous passion in this infamous affair, however I shall venture to consider the matter concluded and rapidly receding into the oblivion of the past, for blessed the damsel who boast of true friendship devoid of at least a meagre scattering of calamitous moments, for I am virtuous and will not permit that such ignoble ill-will enjoy the fruits of a prolonged residence in the vivid and intricate tapestry of our splendour-laden friendship. Through such misunderstandings one groweth and that is a conjecture no longer a conjecture, for it hast been subjected to demonstrative evidence unequalled except by the most rigorous of mathematical proofs, those bethought by the rare mind gifted in excess with lucidity and perception of inconceivable profoundness.
Guest   Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:21 am GMT
More, more!
Dave   Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:11 am GMT
Guest.... Girl, you need your lazy welfare-queen ass off that couch and cut out that crystal meth that's givin' you that stank-ass breath from your tooth-rot, and apologize to your girl for being a horny ho, otherwise she's gonna get your man from you... You know what I'm sayin?
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:04 am GMT
God alone knows why, but British "off peak" TV shows a pretty dire daytime American program called the Ricki Lake Show. I reckon it must be viewed on a regular basis mostly by the "welfare-queen" types referred to in the previous post (or as we call them over here - with a strong hint of the derogatory - "on the social" types, entirely funded by the hard working taxpayers). Anyway, the text in Dave's post bears a striking resemblance to the sort of vocabulary heard in that show.

We have the British equivalent over here - it's called the Jeremy Kyle Show. Equally nauseating according to regular condemnatory articles in the more discerning British press. But this is a free democracy after all - too much so at times! :-)
Uriel   Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:21 am GMT
Good lord, is Ricki Lake still on the air somewhere? I thought she had faded into obscurity ages ago!
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 am GMT
***I thought she had faded into obscurity ages ago!***

Not on the British airwaves it seems - still going strong on the Freeview Channel 6 on weekday afternoons (I checked the TV schedules). It's heartwarming to know that you wise Americans have consigned Ricki to the trash can (or dustbin as we say over here).