Poverty and accent

Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:40 GMT
Many physicists believe in God. Not a god but God.
J   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:41 GMT
Which god is your particular god? It is a hard decision I gather, not like choosing between Pepsi and Coke.
Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:45 GMT
There is no which. The one and the only one who has initiated all. In fact, the first person who proposed the big bang is a Belgian priest Georges Lamaitre.
I   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:49 GMT
Does your god have any distinguishing features? How can I tell yours from other people's god? Could you make up a photofit? Would could put posters up 'Wanted this god: dead or alive.', and get together a posse.

Seriously though, why?
Y   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:50 GMT
Don't ask me.
Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:56 GMT
Let's not use the word God and simply say I want to know why the initial explosion of a primeval atom happened.
J   Friday, November 29, 2002, 13:59 GMT
You used the word god first, not me. Who said it did happen? I like the Steady State theory put forward by Fred Hoyle.
Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 14:03 GMT
Although this is an interesting topic to discuss, which also simultaneously reminds me of why I'm slaking off at the moment, this topic has nothing to do with the English language. So I'll stop here.
Ahmed   Friday, November 29, 2002, 15:15 GMT
Rupert, how much do u earn? is ur family rich?
Sybill   Friday, November 29, 2002, 18:00 GMT
I imagine they are Ahmed. Thinking about it though a theoretical physicist is there to prove really that many of the prophecies in the Bible did not exist and are attributed to science. So Rupert what was the first cause and why does everything seem like it has been designed? What started off the Big Bang heh?
Clare   Friday, November 29, 2002, 19:20 GMT
Rupert,

I also read your other posts and am interested to ask some questions about physics. Can you send me an email to claredupre123@hotmail.com? I'm a French girl at a UK univeristy. Sorry about my English, if any mistakes. Bye
...   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 06:13 GMT
Could anyone please tell me something? I'd like to know if BBC pronunciation is RP.
J   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 18:24 GMT
As close to RP as you're going to find in international broadcasting, though many RP speakers complain of BBC presenters' accent being too 'common'.
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 11:40 GMT
Clare,

Check your mailbox.

It's safe to assume BBC TV announcers do NOT speak RP since they no longer have any restrictions on accents. Some of them even have not only reional accents but also ethnic accents.

BBC World Service is probably the closest variant of what used to be known as RP. However, they pronunce many words in a very modern fashion which is different from RP classed by BBC before.
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 11:45 GMT
It's "regional" not "reional".