Accents of some famous stars

Eastie   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 17:01 GMT
"hey , have you watched CSI Miami? do all actors in that series speak with the accent of Miami? is that the accent of that place??? "

CSI Miami is actually shot in Los Angeles. Most of the actors on that show speak with a Standard American accent.

Miami is such a multicultural city with huge Jewish, Cuban, Carribbean populations mixed in with the local Southern US Anglo population, that it's hard to come up with a defining "Miami" accent.
mjd   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 23:10 GMT
Paul,

I'm pretty sure Guiliani grew up in Brooklyn (I'm not sure which neighborhood). He also has his characteristic lisp that adds to his accent. I believe Rosie O'Donnell is from Long Island.
mjd   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 23:14 GMT
*Giuliani
Edu   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 22:57 GMT
Hey, what actors with new york's accent would you recommend that I listent to to distinguish and/or pick up this kind of american accent
Elaine   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 23:14 GMT
Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, John Travolta, Joe Pesci & Marisa Tomei ("My Cousin Vinny"), Woody Allen, Barbra Streisand, Rosie Perez, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey (Oh, that's right, you said "actor". Sorry!)
mjd   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 23:17 GMT
James Cahn would be a good one too. John Travolta, however, is from my native New Jersey.
pobre_diablo   Friday, March 12, 2004, 02:38 GMT
Joy Behar (on of the co-hosts on The View) - New York Italian accent, and Judge Judy - New York Jewish.
Ryan   Friday, March 12, 2004, 06:20 GMT
You could learn the Brooklyn Jew accent by listening to Kyle's Mom on South Park.
Edu   Friday, March 12, 2004, 14:18 GMT
Thanks to everyone, and yes Elaine, I said actors,by the way, I love Mariah Carey and her accent is nice too. Do yo have more actors on your list?
pobre_diablo   Friday, March 12, 2004, 20:58 GMT
if u watch the sopranos, ull hear New York - New Jersey accents.
Mustapha   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 11:16 GMT
I hope people have an idea about Sting's songs.They would be so expressing,so we have to talk about that singer who with his special English accent make us drown down in a real sea of voccabulay.
"Fields of gold" for instance , it was an album with all songs which convince every English lerner to take it, these songs are full of voccabulary that make teme getting smarter.
Can I discuss about Sting?
sreekar   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 17:40 GMT
hii to all,

above explanations on general american english accent are good. But I am an Indian how can I learn that. does watching CNN gives me good accent.
thanks
Doon   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 03:26 GMT
I reckon people in Friends have the Manhattan accent.
Though Joey sounds a bit different.
Alice   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 07:23 GMT
I would love to discuss Sting! He's by far my favourite artist, and what you've said about his lyrics is very true. He brings a unique intellectualism to pop music. I'm a native speaker, and I've learned words from Sting. For example, the concept of "Synchronicity" was new to me before I researched the song, and I've yet to find a defininition for "coolth", (which appears in "I burn for you"), though I think I can safely guess what it means. The song "The Soul Cages" taught me a new meaning for "shoal"... that's all I can think of for now, but I'd love to hear what words the lyrics of Sting have taught others out there!
loser_nerd_dorkygeek   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 09:04 GMT
I think Barney in the Flintstones movie is from Brooklyn. is that right?