About "science"

Math and Maths   Monday, June 07, 2004, 22:12 GMT
''Neither Maths nor Astrology seem to fit the definition I gave of "science".''

Jim, why are you using the plural of ''math'' as a singular.

Example of a sentence,

''In order for that person to get that degree it required them to take three maths but they only took one math.''

You wouldn't say this, would you?

''In order ''In order for that person to get that degree it required them to take three maths but they only took one maths.''
Emmanule   Monday, June 07, 2004, 22:24 GMT
Sirs, my intension has been influenced by any other language, just English. When I talk about grammar and I see something different from other language, then that's what makes me think something weird is in our English expressions. So, let me tell you that "math" is said in United States of America but Maths in England. Why is it different if English is only one, not two. Americans have made their particular accent and expressions.

I'm not against any accent. Both understand eachother.
Emmanuel   Monday, June 07, 2004, 22:31 GMT
Each_other for each other separate as some_thing. What an irony.

caps and union.
Emmanuel   Monday, June 07, 2004, 22:55 GMT
Emmanule Monday, June 07, 2004, 22:24 GMT
Sirs, my intension has not been influenced by any other language, simply English. When I talk about grammar and I see something different from other language, then that's what makes me think something weird is in our English expressions. So, let me tell you that "math" is said in United States of America but Maths in England. Why is it different if English is only one, not two? Americans have made their particular accent and expressions.

I'm not against any accent. Both understand each other.

Who wrote that was a faker. I wrote mine in June 07, 2004, 22:23 GMT.
Emmanuel   Monday, June 07, 2004, 23:22 GMT
Oh, I gotta go to sleep. It's 7:21 AM in my zone. Guess where, pe pe pppppp!
Jim   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 00:23 GMT
Math and Maths,

Not everything that ends in the letter "s" is a plural. The words "math" and "maths" are short forms of "mathematics". In North America "math" is the commonly used short form of "mathematics" whereas elsewhere it's "maths".

You wouldn't call "mathematics" a plural with the singular form being "mathematic". The words "math", "maths" and "mathematics" are noncountable thus they have no plural forms.

Looking at your two example sentences, I wouldn't say the second, no, but nor would I say the first. I wouldn't say either of these any more than I'd say either of the following.

''In order for that person to get that degree it required them to take three mathematics but they only took one mathematic.''

''In order for that person to get that degree it required them to take three mathematics but they only took one mathematics.''

Here's what I might say.

''In order for that person to get that degree it was required of them to take three mathematics course but they only took one mathematics course.''

However, this is rather verbose and formal. I'd more likely say the following.

"To get a degree that person had to take three maths courses but they only took one."
Emmanuel   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 00:28 GMT
Jim,
The mathematics is a number science.
The mathematics are Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, etc...

[-ics in plural as a form of singular]
Jim   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 00:36 GMT
I know what mathematics is, Willy.
Mathematics is no kind of science.
The branches of mathematics are geometry, trigonometry, calculus, etc...

"Mathematics" is un uncountable noun.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=49251&dict=CALD
Emmanuel   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 01:27 GMT
O.K. That's your opinion. So, I can't change your mind. Excuse me.
Jim   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 01:41 GMT
You'd have the same "opinion" if only you'd study a little maths, science and philosophy.
Emmanuel   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 01:44 GMT
O.K Let me tell you win. What do you?
Jim   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 02:04 GMT
I pull my shirt over my head, fling my arms in the air and do victory laps around the room.
dian   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 03:17 GMT
I have decided to translate "science" as "natural science" not "social science" into my language, Indonesian language.
Emmanuel   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 03:26 GMT
It's depending about what science.
Might Mick   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 12:10 GMT
Mathematics is absolutely a science.

With English being my primary language, I consider the word science as a broad term that envelops many domains (more than you might expect) - particularly those areas that involve studies of a systematic or observational nature.