What is the official language of the European Union?

Damian   Thursday, June 24, 2004, 16:18 GMT
I have only just got in after a busy day in the supermarket. I think every idiot and stupid person in this area came to MY checkout till today...I think God hates me today. It was hard to keep my cool with some of them. Do you guys know what it is like to serve the English public? :-( They are always right! Still, I managed to keep smiling. I want to contribute to this EUROPISH thread.......interesting! I will throw in some Celtic words to go into the Europish dictionary. Well, that's only fair is it not?
vincent to nic   Thursday, June 24, 2004, 20:47 GMT
La France quelle farce! Soi totalment d'acòrdi amb tu, la França es una farça inventada pels reis capecians. France is a joke invented by the french capetians king who imponed their language, customs and even religions (think about the cathars and the protestants) to other peoples. But a bad joke. Ask the Basques, the Bretons and the former french colonies in Africa.

La França s'es totjorn creguda investida d'una mission divina e universala. Vaqui lo resultat uèi. Los USA prenon ara lo mesme chamin.
nic   Friday, June 25, 2004, 07:45 GMT
Damian,

And the french are never happy, they all the time have some revendications, they can kill you for nothing. They always try to pass over you when you are waiting on a line, they always try to be the 1st to have a sit in the train even they must walk on your body, they never care about your cat when it's parked in the street but they will kill you if touch their car, they never want to wait on the trafic light you can hear the klaxon after 1 second the trafic light is red, they let their dog doing their needs everywhere, they cannot speak without screams in the south, they close the door in the compartiment train to be alone inside it even there are people who do not have a sit, they drive like ass and they don't respect red light, they drive on your feet if they are hurry, they smoke everywhere especially where it is unallowed, they don't pay their bus ticket and they enjoy saying they are the worst anarchists in the world.

Damian, as you can see it people are people and this is what makes you r country!

Ok Guys! What are the words, verbs you propose from celtic and occitan.

Here's another verbe : to eat

spanish comer, french manger, italian mangiare, english as we know to eat

comeat

Ieu coma
tu comas
il comat
nos comatos
vos comatis
ils comatent
Jordi   Friday, June 25, 2004, 08:07 GMT
Nic:
Remember we said no difficult endings:
Ieu snaquis (In the modern world people don't eat, they just have snacks)
Tu snaquis
Il snaquis
Nos snaquis
Vos snaquis
Ils snaquis

We can leave "coma" for when we're dying for sure.

Ieu comis ( I'm dying for sure)
Mi5 Mick   Friday, June 25, 2004, 08:45 GMT
My idea of a snack is a 2 hour feast. Half an hour in the middle of the day, 1 and a half hours at dinnertime
nic   Friday, June 25, 2004, 08:55 GMT
I don't know, maybe we can keep snack but we can keep a verb (coma or not) because we sometimes have a snack but not all the time. I usually don't have, french prefer having most of the time a real meal. At list, imagine if you go to restaurant, will you have a snack or a real meal?

Snack is a good idea but i think we must have another one.
Jordi   Friday, June 25, 2004, 09:18 GMT
For the idea of snack as Mick puts it we have "tapas". I can have tapas for a few hours (including ice cold beer or nice red wine.)

To have tapas in Europish would be:

Ieu tapis..

Furthermore, if we're all going to have a common language we must agree if we're going to cook with olive oil or butter. Those who have butter usually don't like fried olive oil and those who have fried olive oil don't usually like smelly fried butter. This is not good for the idea of European unity. Children must be introduced to what is best for their health. According to the latest surveys it's got to be olive oil because it's cholesterol free. We shall all have butter on our toasts.
l'Europe!!
nic   Friday, June 25, 2004, 09:30 GMT
The best for our health is having a real meal and not a snack (if by snack you mean having sandwiches...).
So, we have 3 verbs in the euripish culture about food:

Comeat (if someone has a better version just propose yours)
tap(ar?)
snack

What about oil and butter?

olio? for olive we can keep the same word olive
Butter, butro?
Wine, wino?
water, waqua?

to drink,

bedrire?
ieu bedris...

nos bedris wino.
nic   Friday, June 25, 2004, 09:34 GMT
I personnally prefer Olive oil, but it's a question of culture? What about a north french, a scottish, a german... Sure butter is not the most healthy, but a german? Does he usually cook with olive oil, i don't think. Maybe he uses the butter and the olive oil.
Mi5 Mick   Friday, June 25, 2004, 09:49 GMT
OK forget snacks altogether... let me make it clear - I live on proper hot meals. None of this biscuits and chips nonsense = my dessert! :P

hmm butter or oil. Sounds a bit fascist. Sometimes I like to fry with lard. Anyway once you start frying whether butter, margarine, olive oil or lard, the "healthy index" drops off the graph as the temp. rises :)
Jordi   Friday, June 25, 2004, 09:59 GMT
Mick and Nick
It's all in good fun because it would seem European unity requires unification in every sense. I don't agree of course and there are artificial languages that already have been invented on the basis of Indo European tongues. Perhaps we should stop creating the language and leave it for the future. After all, ANTIMOON is about practicing our language. :)
Mi5 Mick   Friday, June 25, 2004, 10:03 GMT
I was just messing around... please continue.
nic   Friday, June 25, 2004, 11:11 GMT
Mick and Jordi,

We can "try" to create a language which could reflect all european cultures. English does not especially reflect all of our habits. That's kind of habits spanish, french, italians, germans... won't lost and won't abandon. Typical example with tapas, germans do not have tapas but spanush have. There are many things like that.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Friday, June 25, 2004, 18:40 GMT
Axel, you write: "As in most European languages (English, French, Spanish...) we put the adjectives before the nouns"

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few days, French and Spanish put the adjective after the noun. I believe that is the case with all Romance languages.

Italian can have the adjective either before or after, but the meaning is different depending on which you use. A good explanation of the distinctions are given in "Languages of the World", by Comrie. Since I can't remember the details or examples too well at the moment, I won't try to paraphrase them here.
Damian   Friday, June 25, 2004, 20:13 GMT
I like olive oil....I weigh hardly anything so I eat what I like but in small quantities....I had another grotty day at work...God has me on his hate list... they call this day of the week Frightful Friday in retail.

I've not had ANY CHANCE to contribute to EUROPISH...the NEW lingua Europa...(does that sound right?) I demand that Celtic words are included somewhere....please!? :-) A note: In both Gaelic and Welsh the adjective follows the noun....the boy tall; the house large; the books heavy. I'm knackered right now :-(

Maybe God hates me because I've stopped going to church! nah thats stupid!