California

Julian   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 06:32 GMT
"What about matter and madder, there's a different in the a sound like in california? "

If you're asking if there's a difference in the "a" sound in "matter" and "madder" in the California accent, then no, there is not (at least not in my accent).
Tom   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 12:02 GMT
Normally, the "a" in "madder" would be longer and more clearly enunciated than the "a" in "matter". Just like "rider" vs. "writer".
Tom   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 12:14 GMT
BTW Julian, where is North Hollywood? I spent 7 days in Hollywood in April and never heard the name. Also, it's not on my map of LA.
Juan   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 12:22 GMT
mat = @
mad = @:
endrus   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 16:42 GMT
Still I don't believe there's a big difference in speech of Californians and the rest of US. Maybe there are more varieties of the language, more dialects as Calie attracts tourists from the rest of the country and the world, the same can be said about Florida or Atlantic City :-)... Ok, perhaps you're bound to hear more influence of Spanish in California and Texas than in Oregon but it doesn't create a specific Californian or Texan accent.
Random Chappie   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 21:01 GMT
Oh, just for clarification, I live in San Mateo County in Northern California. Endless supply of Asians and Latinos here. Blacks? I see one every few days.

And yes, as Senor de Toboso was pointing out, many young Californians talk as if they were asking questions all the time.
CalifJim   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 01:33 GMT
<<Normally, the "a" in "madder" would be longer and more clearly enunciated than the "a" in "matter". Just like "rider" vs. "writer". >>

I have not observed the former at all. I have observed the latter, but I'm not sure it's native Californian (whatever that is). It's more a hang-over from the generations who moved West from the upper Midwest. I believe the "rider/writer" difference is called a Canadian shift??? Anyone know the correct term?
Julian   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 02:08 GMT
<<Normally, the "a" in "madder" would be longer and more clearly enunciated than the "a" in "matter". Just like "rider" vs. "writer".>>

That's interesting. I just haven't ever noticed any discernible difference in the way the "a" is pronounced in "matter" and "madder".

<<BTW Julian, where is North Hollywood? I spent 7 days in Hollywood in April and never heard the name. Also, it's not on my map of LA.>>

From Hollywood, head north over the Hollywood Hills, past Universal Studios, and into the San Fernando Valley, and voilĂ  -- you're in beautiful, sunny North Hollywood! It's about 6 miles or so, but in rush hour traffic the drive can take 30-45 minutes. That's why I always take the subway.

http://www.wherela.com/LA_mapHollywood.html

So you were in LA, Tom. Hope you had a swell time.
Ryan   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 03:58 GMT
I pronounce the "ae" sound in "matter" and "madder" exactly the same. In the word "manner," though, the sound is raised.
Justin   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 08:26 GMT
I think Californian Accent is no different from General American.
Tom   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 13:17 GMT
"I believe the "rider/writer" difference is called a Canadian shift??? Anyone know the correct term? "

Canadian shift? AFAIK, it's a widely known phonological phenomenon in American English. I'm surprised you say you pronounce "writer" and "rider" exactly the same. Do you also make no distinction between the "e" sounds in "bet" and "bed"?
Tom   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 13:24 GMT
Thanks for the map, Julian. It didn't occur to me to look on the other side of the 101.
Richard   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 14:26 GMT
I don't get it. The ''a'' sound in ''matter'' and ''madder'' sound exactly the same to me. The only difference between ''matter'' and ''madder'' is the flap ''t'' vs. the ''d'' sound.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

There is something that's known as Canadian Rising according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising .
Richard   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 14:27 GMT
Typo-There is something that's known as Canadian Rising according to wikipedia.

''Canadian raising''.
Ryan   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 16:55 GMT
I didn't think rider and writer were pronounced the same. The /ai/ diphthong is raised in writer, it is not in rider. There is also a flap t in writer where there is (obviously) not in rider.