California

Dulcinea del Toboso   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 09:06 GMT
I am an ex-native (southern) Californian, and my pronunciation of "cot" and "caught" are different (and always has been, I believe).
Ryan   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 20:02 GMT
Californians with "very proper" speech might still distinguish the sounds. I wouldn't think every southern Californian makes them the same, although a large majority of the younger generation does. The place where people pronounce them the same with the highest frequency would probably be Canada.
Random Chappie   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 22:47 GMT
Ach...The whole concept of "Canadian raising" is beyond me. All those differences between Canadian and American English and between perceived Canadian speech (e.g. aboat, aboot, etc.) and actual Canadian speech are so subtle!

I can't tell a Canadian from a Californian unless the Canadian waves a maple-leaf flags and sings "O Canada". But, after all, I am perfectly able to wave a German flag and sing "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit".
Tiff   Monday, July 26, 2004, 05:21 GMT
I'm originally from Florida and went to university in Massachusetts. While I noticed and accent there, I moved to California a month ago and can detect no accent other than foreign-born (many asians). I wonder if because of the hispanic influence the regional accent of Florida and California have become so similar that I cannot detect it. I guess I should mention that even though the native born Californians sound accentless to me, many native Floridians from hispanic families and even those with hispanic friends pick up a very detectable accent to me that seems to soften and blur many harder sounds like the 't' and 'd'. Also very sing-songy in quality compared to my accent.
Omar   Saturday, July 31, 2004, 12:52 GMT
I'm working on a 1930's period piece and my character is from Chicago. I'm having a hard time doing the research needed. Do you have any suggestions of where I may find examples or maybe some tips on the how to recreate that accent?
Jordi   Saturday, July 31, 2004, 13:07 GMT
Old Al Capone movies?
silviaw0b   Sunday, August 01, 2004, 00:18 GMT
I´d love it if someone could tell me something about Valley girl speech. I´m giving a talk in my country (Argentina) about American accents and speech.
LexusAP   Sunday, August 01, 2004, 05:18 GMT
Hey Silvia..I grew up as somewhat of a valley girl, and even now as a professional broadcaster I am still sometimes told I sound like a valley girl. The best thing to do would be to watch the movie "Valley Girls." It is on DVD, you can get it off Amazon.com. Basically, when speaking "valley"it always sounds as if you are asking a question. Also throw in a "like" before every other word and some "cool", "totally", "rad"...etc. I can help you out more a little later, I have a mission right now.
silvia0b   Tuesday, August 03, 2004, 22:26 GMT
Thanks Lexus!!
Another question: in Valley speech is there a special use of go, such as "I asked her about it and she went like "No way"." In other words is went used as said?