Proto Germanic / Germanic Languages Similarities

Sander   Friday, March 18, 2005, 14:49 GMT
Shoes ? isn't that a word derived from french?
greg   Friday, March 18, 2005, 21:35 GMT
I don't think so : see Ge <Schue>. Perhaps Fr <chaussure> is from Frankish origin. Any ideas ?
!   Friday, March 18, 2005, 22:07 GMT
Most of those names you've mentioned are situated in what's Westflanders and French Flanders today.

Schelde is celtic
De Aa is celtic
De lys ( or the Leie in standard dutch ) is also celtic
De flemish word koai is celtic
De Kemmelberg used to be a celtic settlement

=> Holland ( Toxandria ) doesn't have a celtic background , but germanic !
Todd   Friday, March 18, 2005, 22:41 GMT
Actually all the names I mentioned are situated in the northern Netherlands (Nord Holland, Utrecht, Gelderland and Overijsel).
Though, maybe they have twins in Flanders.
Brennus   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 00:11 GMT
Todd,

I'm sorry, but I don't see what your point was in your last post. It was all sound and fury near as I could tell.

!,

Re: My dialect of Dutch ( West Flemish ) still shows features of Celtic in pronounciation ( WFL/ENG : skoews = shoes , eboorn = born )

Thanks for that bit of information. The theory that Dutch has a Celtic substratum is not new. There was German linguist who first suggested it around the middle of the 19th century.
Sander   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 08:25 GMT
Todd,

Ive look your names up and all places who end with "-um" are of roman origin.
eg.
BatavorUM
!   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 21:43 GMT
My dialect shows features of the celtic language the Menapii ( Celts of the coastline ) spoken around the year 50 B.C . Their language was almost certainly a dialect of gaulish ( no written material found ) ...
!   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 21:46 GMT
Excuse me , I meant the Morini celts ...
!   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 21:52 GMT
Definition of Morini
-------------------
Ancient Celtic people living in the northwestern part of the region between the Seine and the Rhine rivers at the period when Julius Caesar began his conquest of Gaul. Closely allied to two other tribes, the Ambiani and the Atrebates, the Morini were separated from the Atrebates in the Roman division of the province. Up to this time the Celts were organized by tribes, …
Jo   Saturday, March 19, 2005, 23:43 GMT
Brennus:The Germanic tribes began arriving in present day Holland only towards the end of the 5th century A.D. Prior to that time it was part of the Roman province of Germania Inferior and was inhabited by two Celtic tribes, the Batavii and the Morii (whose name appears to have meant "sea farers" or "sea people"). The Batavii served as auxiliaries in the Roman Army. Cohors Primus Batavorum ("The first cohort of Batavians) served in Britain near Hadrian's Wall and also fought in Trajan's Dacian war of 106 A.D. in what is now Romania. »

In Dutch history kids are taught that the 'Batavieren' were a german tribe
who floated down the river Rhine from Switserland 50 years B.C. Do you say that a 150 years later it were Dutch Celts that helped the Romans to build the Hadrian's wall? Also why would the place have been called 'Germania Inferior' if there were Celts living there?
To my mind the Romans called places where the Celts lived Gaulle, Galicia , Gales etc but not Germania.
Sander   Sunday, March 20, 2005, 08:44 GMT
Brennus,

To add to "Jo",

Germania Inferior was never a roman province untill very late,when the romans tried to move their empire border towards the ELBE river in germany (near Hamburg).However I disagree with "Jo" on the Swiss thing;
Because the germans probably came to the netherlands by crossing the rhine at "Lopik" in other words they came from north-west Germany.
!   Sunday, March 20, 2005, 11:25 GMT
A lot of Belgae ( Belgic celts ) left for England and Scotland , you know ...
Jo   Sunday, March 20, 2005, 16:44 GMT
!»A lot of Belgae ( Belgic celts ) left for England and Scotland , you know »

So what is new?

«Sander:Because the germans probably came to the netherlands by crossing the rhine at "Lopik" in other words they came from north-west Germany.
The north west <Germans> didn't need to cross the Rhine , they could just cross the borders in Drente, Overijssel, Groningen
Sander   Sunday, March 20, 2005, 18:04 GMT
Jo,(idiot)

Lopik lies arounnd Utrecht.Why are you brabbeling about drente and gelderland?!
!   Sunday, March 20, 2005, 18:34 GMT
It's highly unlikely Dutch celts ( which DIDN'T EXCIST , you mean germanics) helped build Hadrians wall . Or was it just a figure of speech ?